X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avera
    Lieutenant
    • May 2012

SD Kit vs Complete Build

Is it easy to assemble the kit and does it come with everything that is included in the ready built unit? Are there any build issues I need to be concerned with?

I am looking for the VII SD. I could use the savings for the speed controller.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Andrew
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Avera
    Is it easy to assemble the kit and does it come with everything that is included in the ready built unit? Are there any build issues I need to be concerned with?

I am looking for the VII SD. I could use the savings for the speed controller.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Andrew
    No, it's not easy.

It comes with everything the built-up unit has.

Plenty of issues!

You could also use the savings for a properly built up, tested, and reliable SD.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Anuci
      Banned
      • Aug 2008

That's about the best advice you're ever going to get. You will more than likely spend more time and aggravation asking for advice on how to correct this or that, once assembled and not working properly in one respect or another. Then again you could get lucky, but you've gotta ask yourself " do you feel lucky, well do ya! "
      Last edited by Anuci; 06-15-2012, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

.... Punk!
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Dirty Harry, I love it!

To add to what Al said, if you assemble it yourself and break or crack something it may cost more to repair (certainly time wise). Avera, there are enough challenges in getting your sub to work than to heap additional issues on top. I have disassembled my wtc enough times that I am now much more comfortable with it and how it goes together, but it was pre-assembled first, so I had a working starting point. Since this is your first sub, get it assembled. Then down the road you can go for a kit, if you want.
          Peace,
          Tom
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• alad61
            Commander
            • Jan 2012

Yeah you need to heed the afore mentioned advice... Go the pre assembled unit. Much like Trout I had to partially disassemble my seaview sd... daunting to say the least. You might dave a few bucks but in the bigger scheme...??? If it is your first sub then converting & assembling will give you all the challenges you need. Besides get the sub together whilst saving for the esc because the sd is just a clear tube filled with amazing stuff that can't do anything without a sub to nest it in.
            Cheers,
            Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
            But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Avera
              Lieutenant
              • May 2012

Thanks for the advice, that is what I wanted to hear.

Andrew

Comment

Working...