X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alad61
    Commander
    • Jan 2012

lipos & voltage...

After reading Trouts issues with his lipo's. I thought I'd confir with the masses... I have found that when I charge up my lipo packs for my seaview on my "smart" charger making sure the capacity is correct. They end up with an average of 8.6v in them. Which I understand a fairly normal for most rechargable batteries. Now when I power up the sd with the recharged pack the motors start ramping up into full throttle with no input from the tx... So as an experiment I used the charge unit to discharge them to around 7.8v & found that they don't have the same result. Something else I will try is to reduce the input capacity to 1200 milliamps after this w/end.

Is this common thing or am I just "lucky"?
    Cheers,
    Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
    But to dream is a reality

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

New to me, Alec. Kevin?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

Hi Alec,

Something sounds off here - A 2 cell LiPo should not read more than 8.4V fully charged. (I know that last 0.2V doesn't seem like much, but when talking LiPos I've always been told that 4.2V/cell is the max you should ever charge to.)

What charger are you using? Does the "capacity" setting affect how much charge goes in or only the initial charge rate?
      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
      KMc Designs

Comment

• alad61
        Commander
        • Jan 2012

G'day Kevin,

It is a Powertech plus model MB3632. It is fully programmable for lipo's, Nicds & Nimh and even Pb lead acid batteries. I can set the capacity, nubmer of cells and voltage. Then charge the packs on either a charge mode or balance mode. I tried it on the week end with the battery I had in the 3rd sea trials run at the lake . Only this time I reset the capacity to 1.2 instead of 1.3 and it came up flashing between 8.4-8.5. I don't reckon the .1 drop in capacity is going to make that much difference in run time but it will be a couple off weeks till I get a chance to do another sea trial to be sure.
        Cheers,
        Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
        But to dream is a reality

Comment

Working...