X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

any sugestions as to what driver system for a 1/72 IXD 2

the 48" boat is much larger than the type VII which uses the 15", but the Gato driver looks as tho it would fit, and has the extra servo for the dive plane lowering, which I could utilise for another aplication. I have a hull that I got from combat models, some time ago that I finally got around to assemble. It has a huge ammount of room for all kinds of stuff, as well as very beamy at the deck gunnels to drop in and out a 2.5 inch driver without flexing the sides and up to a 3.5" inside the hull if you want to seperate the hull somewhere. The 3.5" section is 24" long before it tapers. Thats why Im thinking the Gato
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

First off, any man who can successfully assembly a John Ruck's kit has my full heart-felt respect. Those things are, in a word .... AWFUL!!!!!!

You talked me into it. a modified GATO SD it is. I can shorten the ballast tank to get you into the 24" foot-print.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

It is a bit shabby for a "kit", but since I scratch build most of my boats, Its a short cut to have basic the hull stuck together in a couple hours. I was thinking of using the type VII fittings kit and modify the rudders and planes shapes to look more like the type IXs. I wonder if you guys ever thought of making a driver with tapered ends along the cigar shape of the actual pressure hulls. Just a thought

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

No -- too limited an application. And getting things to fit within a compound curve is a ***** -- as the guys who engineered the SKIPJACK's found out.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

just a start
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IXDhull.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	66797Click image for larger version