X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redlite
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jan 2010

1/96 Gato Snort

I bought this FG hull, conning tower, cast white metal guns and deck fittings from Lee Upshaw at Scale Shipyard about 20 years ago. The project took about two years and was basedClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1740.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	100528 on the series of articles that Skip Asay wrote for Flying Models detailing the requirements for RC submarining.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1743.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	100527
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1748.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	100526I wanted to build something that wasn't a 'kit' or styrene plastic at the time. This was a good size at about 40 inches in length. It has been through a Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1742.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	100525couple of internal redesigns over time and needs a WTC. But first, a snort install would be good practice and some final dives of the old system is in order. I took Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1737.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	100524out the gas system long ago and she now vents the ballast tank once with no way to blow, planing to the surface. Perfect to try out a snort system.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1745.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	100523
    Last edited by redlite; 12-22-2010, 12:38 AM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

You live dangerously.

Sure, install the smaller *** to blow the tank dry.

Don't operate this thing in any water you're not prepared to dive to the bottom of to retrieve your boat.

David,

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU, MIKE!!!! .... YOU'VE TURNED LOW-PRESSURE-BLOWER INTO A BAD WORD?! THIS MEANS WAR!!!!!!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redlite
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jan 2010

You mean like submerging in 421 dangerously?

The little snort pump that came in the treasure chest got me to thinkin'....the ballast tank is 8" long by 2.5" in diameter on this model...you guys have a larger pump that may work here, what do you think?

This model has never been in a lake yet. I take your "nothing worse than going home with an empty boat stand" philosophy to heart.

I'll admit I don't get the last sentence...

Joe

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Mike, have you given thought to re-installing a gas system? In the type of water that I am used to going to Id be afraid to run it.
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Mark,

We have not dropped the gas ballast sub-system at all (the 1.25" SD's never had it). All but the 1.25" SD use a gas ballast sub-system.

However, in recent designs (and re-designs) of the old SD's, we have reduced the size of the on-board bottle -- this in keeping with the secondary role the sub-system now plays aboard the submarine.

There has been a change in ballast tank dewatering philosophy around here: At one time the gas ballast sub-system was the only means of dewatering the ballast tank. Now, with Mike's discovery of the little pump-compressor units that don't need to be protected from water ingestion; Kevin's invention of a micro-controller; and my insanely brilliant integrating ability, we came up with a simple, cheap, almost idiot proof (yeah! ... I'm talking to you, dear reader!) primary means of ballast tank dewatering: the LOW PRESSURE BLOWER!!!! (***).

David,
          Last edited by Outrider; 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Thanks for the info. Me, being the self made "Chicken Little" that I am need both! Thanks
            IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
              Mark,

LOW PRESSURE BLOWER!!!! (***).

David,

He means SNORT PUMP! (Darned Americans have trouble with the language!)
              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

Working...