• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fwjeff
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jul 2009

Jeff's Type VII project

Hi,
    Just starting a Type VII. This is my first sub so I'm completely new to this type of model, first heard of a sub-driver or WTC a couple of weeks ago. Lots of R/C experience, just all with planes & a few surface boats so this should really be fun. I have the kit & the wood decks just came today from Nautilus. So far I've finished opening up the drain/flood vents on the hull. It went much quicker than I expected. I took a Die Grinder with a 1" spherical cutter running about 35psi to keep things from melting & ground down the inside almost to the vent holes. To finish I used a #11 Exacto to cut the hole from the backside & added a bevel to reduce the apparent thickness of the skin at the holes. Turned out really nice, only one oops back under the prop shafts. I've attached a couple of photos (hopefully!)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by fwjeff; 07-15-2009, 08:58 PM.
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Thanks for joining Jeff.

Hang fire before gluing those hull sections together. You need to grind out a bit in the skeg to allow the aft dive plane bell crank to operate. His Eminence is working up a Cabal Report as we speak. (I did see him lurking here a minute ago- hopefully he's gone back to the cave - to work!)

I hope to post this shortly, so everyone has a clear set of instructions for our new Fittings Kit.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• fwjeff
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jul 2009

Thanks! I'm trying to go slow until I know how everything fits together. I saw a shipping notice so the sub driver & parts are on their way. Figure for now I'll do things like the conning tower railings & some of the other deck detail I want to do in metal.

Comment

• fwjeff
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Jul 2009

New Photos

More pictures. The Dive Planes & Rudders are installed & working very nicely. One close call with glue getting into the stern plane bellcrank while attaching the rudder mount. A little heat from the soldering iron fixed it. I decided to make up brass bellcranks for each, can't resist tinkering & added some .032 stainless weld wire for the outer hinge pins for the rope guards. Since the photos the guard for the bottom stern has been finished using brass rod.
        Attached Files

Comment

• pjdog
          Commander
          • Apr 2009

Nice work Jeff. I'm jealous. The type VII is my favorite boat. Your doing a good job. Keep the pictures coming.

Jack

Comment

• fwjeff
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Jul 2009

Next round of photos

A few new photos. The picture of the stern shows it with the lower guard complete. I used the kit's rear bulkhead to make a mount to hold the SD level in the hull. And the start of the tower & decks. I aslo tried putting in some pictures of U505 from last week but I'll need to try again, looks like only one uploaded, stand by!
            Attached Files

Comment

• fwjeff
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Jul 2009

U505 Photos

A few more;
              Attached Files

Comment

• shamrock
                Lieutenant
                • Jan 2009

where did you find the u505 pics
                horse power by the hour

Comment

• pjdog
                  Commander
                  • Apr 2009

U505 - It's in Chicago at the museum. It's now inside. They have a real nice set up to view the sub.

There's a Gato in Mobil Al. where the battleship Alabama is. In Mobil bay. Both are a must see. Been to both.

Jack

Comment

• Kazzer
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by pjdog

There's a Gato in Mobil Al. where the battleship Alabama is. In Mobil bay. Both are a must see. Been to both.

Jack

Bin there, dun that too! USS Drum. I even got to blow the Klaxon on it. My dad took me on HMS Sybil in Malta and I was left alone in the control room for a few minutes, feet dangling from the swivel chair, with strict instructions not to touch the red button. What does a four year old do? Next thing half of Malta thought the Germans were bombing the harbour again. Dad & I got into trouble.

When I conveyed the story to the female officer on duty on the Drum, she said I should do this one too!
                    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

"Push the button ... Max!"
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• fwjeff
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Jul 2009

Testing Photos

After some travels I'm back to work on the VII. Here are a couple of pictures in the pool. One surfaced & the other sitting about 6 inches off the bottom. So far the main controls are set up & working. Just need to plug in the ADF & set up the plumbing for the Snort. Still having some problems getting air out from under the deck. I'm putting hinges on the two deck hatchways so they can open if air is under them. Also opened up the main deck under the conning tower & the conning tower deck around the front & sides. Should help a bit. One caution I found. When connecting the radio antenna to the stud make sure it stays isolated from the motor mount. I didn't check after tightening things up & the speed control self destructed rather spectacularly! Just to be paranoid I added a 3/32 brass tube near the top of the rear bulkhead running to the aluminum bulkhead forward of the servos. Stiffened up the mounts nicely & gave a spot for the antenna well clear of all the other hardware.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• pjdog
                          Commander
                          • Apr 2009

good job.

Jack

Comment

• Anuci
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2008

Jeff, excellent trimming of the boat, sets perfectly above and below the water. looks Nice! These plastic hull boats have turned out to be quite nice for what they are. Regards, Al,

Comment

• fwjeff
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Jul 2009

Next progress

More progress. Some photos of the deck details made from brass. Turned out pretty good. I'll probably change the rails along the tower to a smaller diameter wire (1/32). The picture of the bottom of the conning tower shows the tube for the snort. I made the periscope from aluminum tube & used the kit top section. There is a hole near the top of the tube for the air intake. So far it's working pretty good.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...