X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 639mpa
    Lieutenant
    • Nov 2010

SSN639 Sail Pictures

Anyone doing a 637 Class Fast Attack might find these useful.
    Attached Files
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

The third picture in, is that intake and exhaust for the backup generator?
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• 639mpa
      Lieutenant
      • Nov 2010

It's the exhaust. Intake was through the snorkel when submerged. In port we could open the hatches and run the diesel generator that way for PMS or checkout. However the topside watchstander could get a little messy from exhaust.
      1. What is the hole above the exhaust outlet for? Maybe I can makeup for my lousy ID on the Juliette pic. I only worked with EchoII and Juliets Submerged.
      2. Do you know how the snorkel valve works and how a little error could endanger the ship?
      Bob

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Well, I know a little bit. I know that if the snorkel goes under and the valve closes as its designed to do the diesel engines will suck hard on the internal air in the boat and wreak havoc on the crew. If the valve doesnt close as its supposed to then the engines will ingest water and could be ruined. Either way the boat will be then in a bad position.
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• 639mpa
          Lieutenant
          • Nov 2010

Did you figure out what the hole above the exhaust is for?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

floating-wire antenna (AKA, Seagull perch). The RM's and Auxiliarieman's nightmare!

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 639mpa
              Lieutenant
              • Nov 2010

I knew David would know. I told him the story about the seagull. I was on the scope one morning way up North but the sea state was zero. Flat as glass. I could the wire on the surface floating along behind us at about 3 knots and I see this gull floatind along SIDEWAYS. He was holding on to the wire. He got a surprise when we went deep.
              The wire was also a nightmare for the DOOW if he used too much angle going down and clipped the wire with the prop. Captain, OOD, and RM's were not happy especially if we had to use a mast.

Comment

Working...