Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • herrmill
    Commander
    • Dec 2008

Sure would make for a nice hotel down at Margate...

Comment

• Warpatroller
      Lieutenant
      • Dec 2012

X-1, Kalamity Class, whatever it is, it looks cool! If Mike were to sell this as a kit, I could order two of them..
      "Wir kommen ihnen unbekannt."

Comment

• Albion
        Captain
        • Dec 2008

Looks close enough to a K hull, might need stretching. Deans marine have a reasonably price K hull. If anyone wants to build this i would start with Deans hull and get an M1 fittings kit from mike, together with an appropriate SD ;)

With this model your going to be doing a lot of work yourself.
        Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• unseen
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

I think that your enquiries would draw a blank with the Submarine Museum, but the National Maritime Museum suggested by Sub Culture will surely have them in the department of Ship Covers. X1 was in her time an expermental cruiser submarine, laid down at Chatham Dockyard on 2nd November 1921. Launched 16th June 1923 and completing 23rd September 1925. Fate: entered into refit during 1930 and placed into reserve pending disposal 1935. Sold for breaking 12th December 1936. Beam 29.9 feet, Draught 15 feet and Overall Length 363.6 feet.
          Last edited by unseen; 04-08-2013, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

I think the X1 has the highest freeboard of any submarine I've seen.

It would require some care in construction, making everything featherlight and thin as possible above the waterline- take some tips from the glider builders- epoxy glass, with a vacuum bagged or infused laminate perhaps. The ballast tank would be best built into the boat with perhaps a small cylinder stashed either end for batteries and radio kit. Then pack every spare spot you can with foam to support a chunky keel which this boat will almost certainly require for stability.

Comment

• herrmill
              Commander
              • Dec 2008

Bet the wardroom was posh just like the K class!

Sure would have made an excellent target for the Jerries had it lived long enough to see WW2.

Comment

Working...