Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

There I was, minding my own business ---

I was sat quietly yesterday morning, having my cup of coffee on the deck, when this came cruising past my back door!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MTB?.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	101777

What is it? I THINK it was carrying four torpedoes?

Click image for larger version

Name:	MTB?2.jpg
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	101778

And what on earth is it doing in the Erie Canal?
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Elco, Higgins, Huckins it ain't!

Movie?

And, Mike, why did you let a combatant through your pattrol area without challenge?!....

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      Elco, Higgins, Huckins it ain't!

Movie?

And, Mike, why did you let a combatant through your pattrol area without challenge?!....

David

I shall have to get a CB radio - and some 1:32 scale torpedoes. I don't think my 1:72 scale compares to theirs, so I dived deep and kept my head down! I'll get him when he comes back in the Spring!
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

LOL. We'll see what we can do.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Kazzer
          I was sat quietly yesterday morning, having my cup of coffee on the deck, when this came cruising past my back door!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14024[/ATTACH]

What is it? I THINK it was carrying four torpedoes?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14025[/ATTACH]

And what on earth is it doing in the Erie Canal?
          PT 728 on its way from Key west to the Liberty air museum in port clinton ohio, If Id have known we were going right by your house we could have stopped and given you a ride. Actually I did not really go all the way from here to Ohio on it. It stopped in Kingston for a few years before Bob Ianinucci sold it to Liberty. It then,went up the Hudson to Albany on to to Lockport to cross the lake. Origonally was built with Packards then had turbo diesels during the charter years, to make it suitable for maratime charter fire reguations. Now, back to original Packards. Was built in the US Under Brit, pattents as an Army air corps rescue craft using the same Higgens type PT hull, but its a Vospar 80' It was mothballed after the war. The boat was picked up in Virginia restored in KW in 1962 for PT 109, along with several other hulls of MTB and PTtypes for that movie. (BTW I worked that movie as an extra along with 11 other active duty sailors) It bounced around and did some work on Mc Hales Navy later in the 60s inClifornoa and various cameos in other movies for several years, before returning to the Keys. Eventually it was bought, after rotting in the yard for several more years, then made into a charter boat. The new owner armed it with several configurations of weaponry during its charter service years, giving rides to tourests. The last being the way it was passing by you with the 4 mk xivs and a 20mm fwd and twin .50s at the con. Robert Ianinucc, Kingston realitor, purchased it and has a PT boat collection on the creek between Kingston and Saugerties, NY and was thinning out the heard. I believe it was in some Julia Roberts movie while it was at his place as well.Click image for larger version

Name:	PT109hilde1962.jpg
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	92538 Heres me on the 109 set 1962Click image for larger version

Name:	PT109movie.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	92539Click image for larger version

Name:	PT-109 Munsons island 1962.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	92540Click image for larger version

Name:	PT-109dummy wreck.jpg
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	92541Click image for larger version

Name:	PT1091962.jpg
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	92542they even cut one in half and floated it with a couple inflatable rafts stuffed up in the bow, for the wreck sceene when Kennedy saves all the crew
          Last edited by Von Hilde; 11-10-2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Working...