Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Are you getting this???

Click image for larger version

Name:	0828402.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	100935
    See where the prop guards mount to the hull. Whats that heavy ridge going underneath it and over to the otherside and forward? Never seen that before.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • reddevil
    Commander
    • Jun 2009

Degaussing coil?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Hmmmm, maybe. Heres another view,dude.Click image for larger version

Name:	SS Tulibee.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	62317 I will look into it and see if I can find any other fleet boats so equipped. Ive looked at this picture a hundred times and never noticed this until today.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Prairie-masker system (bubble screen on hull and on leading edges of propeller blades).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie-Masker (apparently that cat's out of the bag too ... I must be getting old)

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• reddevil
          Commander
          • Jun 2009

Neat, but I didn`t know that this system was in use since then. Thought that it was much much more modern

Comment

• SSBN659
            Commander
            • Feb 2009

The system was also used on the Blueback. I saw the boat on dry dock years ago and recall seeing what looked like two 4" diameter pipe half sections running fore and aft on the bottom hull about 3 or 4 feet each side of the keel. They had holes drilled in them. When I asked what they were I found out they were the Prairie-Masker system for quieting. I included it on my 1/96 Blueback display model.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

The system goes as far back as the GUPPY program, at least the Guppy-2's and 3's. Mid-50's.

In the early 70's I spend many of my water hours as a 2nd class Diver punching out fouled Destroyer masker belt holes with a #60 drill bits shank, the bit secured in the jaws of a vice-grip ... Ugh! Ah, the joys of Ships-husbandry!

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...