ID this early American Civil War ironclad (which wanted to be a submarine)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steampunk
    Lieutenant
    • Feb 2010

ID this early American Civil War ironclad (which wanted to be a submarine)

I lurk here from time to time but I rarely post anything online, anywhere, these days -- so this is sort of a "first post, here" situation for me. (So ... "howdy, folks! Greetings!")

To biz. See if any of you ancient history buffs can ID this "almost a submarine; but not quite" that originated and fought in the earliest years of the American Civil War.

The problem ... this forum's software won't let me post links. Keeps rejecting what I'm trying to post, due to newbie-ism and the presence of a link, etc. ... so, if you edit out the extra spaces, and paste the link (info) into the address bar on your browser, and do some clicking (as instructed below), you'll see four pics of my mostly-historical, somewhat-imaginative, scratchbuilt model of that little-known ACW river monster:

www. scififantasymodeller. co.uk

The link goes to the (UK-based) web site for the folks that publish "Sci-Fi & Fantasy Modeller". Once you arrive at the site's home page, find the "Steampunk Modeller" preview section on that page, and select it; let their little preview program load up; and then flip through the preview pages on display, until the top of the display says you're at pages 8 and 9 of the 15 total pages they put on display.

And no, the real thing didn't have the goofy mean-looking fish face I painted on my model. Yes, it looks a bit like Professor Fate from the movie, "The Great Race" designed the paint job ... but hey, it's a "special" issue of a non-historical modelling series. I was sort of pushing it, author-wise, to have submitted a mostly-historical model (in terms of the thing's shape) for a Steampunk special ... so, I felt I had to "spice it up".

(Oh, and yes, it's supposed to have two propellers. Just didn't finish them before deadline; so the final "beauty shots" seen in the article only show the prop's hubs.)

Anyone scratching their heads, yet? (Heehee!) Technically, no, it was never a sub; but if the rivers it was operating in were deeper, and they'd worked out some bugs...

Your mileage may vary, but I'm convinced the real thing had a water ballast system to allow it to "dive" down, a bit. More like ducking down, or adjusting its freeboard, really, than going completely under the water's surface. I figure when it sat in port or wasn't in combat, it likely had about six foot of hull showing, above the surface -- but if my conjectures are correct (based on, as the article itself says, historical documents that quote a man who claimed to have designed the beastie) it could lower itself down another three foot or so ... with what was above water being nearly impossible for any cannonballs or shells of the time to have actually hit, solidly enough to do real damage; due to the crazy, laid-way-back angles up front; and the compound curves everywhere.

Did I mention that the forward 20 foot or so of this thing was solid wood; with an iron prow or tip on it, so that it could literally ram into wooden ships, and sink them? Try to imagine the kinetic energy being transferred. And this was in the early 1860s -- it being far too early for anyone to have worked out how to shoot torpedo's out of a boat, at the enemy, they basically did all they could to have a half-sub, half-torpedo weapon! Sort of like a huge version of the suicide subs that came about, much much later on; in another century entirely: except without the explosion part.

I'm convinced the real thing must have felt like a alien's spaceship, to the people it fought against, in terms of the lateral-thinking of the technology / design work. But due to it fighting for the side that didn't write history, it's pretty much unknown, today.

Last clue, folks ... it's the thing's 150th birthday, or very close to it, this year.
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Is this it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	steampunk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	60874
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

The 'David's' actually produced pretty much follow your method of operation. Though, they pushed a pole mounted explosive charge into the side of their target.

I could not get past the second window. Damn!

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Steampunk
        Lieutenant
        • Feb 2010

Kazzer: -- Yup, that's the one! ("In the almost-whale-skin textured flesh". I got kinda goofy, toward the end of that build, after a solid week of planking it, top-side!)

Oh God-like One: -- (Sorry! Couldn't resist!) -- You know which one this is, from private conversations and so forth ... so no fair giving the name away, to the group; okay? (Make 'em work at it! Heehee!) But just so the group knows: this WAS actually produced. And it fought. And it scared the hell out of the side that went on to write history. And (as I suggested in the article's text) may have helped push the North towards the inevitability of HAVING to build an ironclad like the Monitor. (Which, it looks to me, would have been an uphill battle getting anyone to sign off on paying for / allowing, had the ______ not done what it did.)

All: -- Can anyone parse that link for me, and post it as a reply? So that others can just click on it, without having to jump through several hoops? Thanks much!

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

The reason why you can't post a link is because we have a spam blocker to stop these bums from posting on our forum. You have to have at least TEN posts to the forum before you can post a link.
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Steampunk
            Lieutenant
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Merriman
            The 'David's' actually produced pretty much follow your method of operation. Though, they pushed a pole mounted explosive charge into the side of their target.
            In reply to that, but almost on another tangent, entirely ... didja see the latest Fine Scale Modeler issue? (March 2011, it says on the cover.) There's an article on a cutaway CSS Hunley in there. (Just got my copy in the mails, today; and it's not even the end of January yet!? But, hey: looks like a really nice issue.) The model seen in the article is largely based on data from the real thing's having been dug up and conserved and studied. (But I still like your older article, of course, Dave!) Anyway, I just thought I'd mention that that article looks pretty spiffy! The guy that did that article even had his model nicely displayed, sitting on a pier -- similar to how it looked in that famous, well-known painting of the real thing. Nice touch, I thought. It's nifty to see old subs done up nicely, in FSM magazine!

Comment

• Steampunk
              Lieutenant
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Kazzer
              The reason why you can't post a link is because we have a spam blocker to stop these bums from posting on our forum. You have to have at least TEN posts to the forum before you can post a link.
              ... and I'm gonna get there before too long, too, at the rate that I'm making replies! Heehee! Oh well: back to lurking, and waiting for someone to ID this monster.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Sorry my friend, it does not compute. Can you give us another clue , or better yet , spoil it for us and give us the answer. Its too hard for me.
                IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Steampunk
                  Lieutenant
                  • Feb 2010

More clues, eh? Okay -- but it feels way too early for me to just hand over the answer. (Where's the fun in that?!)

It's a Confederate vessel. But it started out as a captured (Union) tug or tow boat; or possibly as an icebreaker.

New Orleans residents sometimes referred to it as "The Turtle". (Presumably because only the upper portion was armored, with "flat streetcar iron".)

And the "blueprints" I used to build it from scratch were an eyewitness, dockside drawing made when it was being converted to the purpose of war... which, if the URL is still in my mind firmly enough, can be found at something like history dot navy dot mil (or some such). That same web site also includes copies of early 1900s newspaper clippings ... which basically boil down to a fairly indepth interview with the person who had dreamed it up; and over-saw its conversion to an ironclad.

Comment

• NavyICman
                    Lieutenant
                    • Jun 2010

Okay, gonna take a shot. CSS Manassas, ex Enoch Train

Comment

• Steampunk
                      Lieutenant
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by NavyICman
                      Okay, gonna take a shot. CSS Manassas, ex Enoch Train
                      Yay! Exact-a-mundo, Lieutenant! Good call!

Comment

Working...