• greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

What in the Heck is That???

Click image for larger version

Name:	2dl0v20.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	100653 Tell us not only what it is but also what are those long racks on both sides behind the sail?
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

U Boat? WWII VII? But the hats and shirts look more American.

Those thingies are slides for the guys to have dips with on nice days! :biggrin:

Or are they torpedo slides?
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Im not a expert on these things but I thought it might be for carrying and discharging mines. Not very safe having them stored externally but in the desperate hours of a warfare mentality, Maybe?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Gantu has it. And it's an end-of-war shot of this particular boat, now in United States custody; a war prize. Note the mast head-light jury-rigged to the scope and the blanking plate over the other scope shear. This boat has been rigged for ocean towing. Yeah, it's a mine-layer, the big-ass saddle tank looking things house vertical mine silos. Those racks on the tank-tops are likely for external stores -- maybe this boats did some cargo hauling duty before the white flag went up?

Was this one of the Argentina boats, freighting flying saucer parts for Mr. Wilson's Arctic base?

David,
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-26-2011, 02:13 PM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Gantu and Dave are right on all counts. This link will show in detail all German U boats. Its a little weak in the picture area though.http://www.uboat.net/index.html

Comment

• gantu
            Commander
            • Apr 2009

Look<br />
            Like Type X German submarine
            Regards Gantu

Comment

• Von Hilde
              Rear Admiral
              • Oct 2011

U-234 type IXD 3 captured at the end of the war, on the way to Japan with V-1 and V-2 parts.as well as heavy water and uranium and other cargo for the japanese. The last U boat captured during the war. Those holes with the graiting are wet storage containers. Initally for mines when it was a mine layer. Converted to cargo carring at the end of the war to send technology and supplies to Japan. There were 2 IJN officers aboard during the trip. When Germany surrendered the U boar difected to the US rather than give up to the Canadians. The Japanese officers commited suiside in their bunks, according to the Kaptain Kaloin, Johann Heinrich Fehlier. Some speculation that they may not have killed themselves, but by the German crew. BTW the captured uranium actually made it to japan, by way of the Enola Gay and Boxcar. Seems there wasnt enough uranium to build the two bombs initally. the capture of the stuff was sent to the Manhattan project and they completed the bombs. During the inspection after capture they found the boxes marked U 235, believing the cargo was mis labled since the boat was U234, did not realise what they had for several days. The big deal at the time was a dissassembled V-1 buzz bomb and the V-2 rocket motors with assembly instructions for the rocket. Also aboard was a complete Me 263 and jet engines for a Me 262. You people have a short memory or perhaps no memory at all. I have comented on this story and particular boat a few times on this forum. Note the guard shack end of gangway and the armed seaman at the foot on the other type IX. The guys on the tower are USN looking at the stars and stripes flying from the halliard. A junior officer and a chief portside and a Commander or above with an enlisted man in dungarees starbord. The other boat was captured a few days before. The capture of U 234 was a big deal, made the cover of LIFE magazine. If your lucky, you can find a copy of it and see the cool pics of the capture and towing in. I happen to have saved that magazine along with just about all the issues during the war. Im sure if I go dig it out, the names of some of the guys on the cover are mentioned in the article. There is a documentry video or two on U tube and the Discovery channel had an episode on the story.
              Last edited by Von Hilde; 12-06-2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Von Hilde,
                I looked up U234 and both sources claim it to be a Type XB
                The U-boat War in World War Two (Kriegsmarine, 1939-1945) and World War One (Kaiserliche Marine, 1914-1918) and the Allied efforts to counter the threat. Over 40.000 pages on the officers, the boats, technology and the Allied efforts to counter the U-boat threat.

I do not know if your source said they are looking up at the flag or just an embellishment on your part, but it looks like the two men are looking at the periscope. The flag looks like it is on the railing way aft of periscope, in fact other photos seem to support this. Here is another view of the sub photoed in the posting earlier:

http://www.storyhousepro.com/u-234-h...ast-submarine/

Peace,
                Tom
                Last edited by trout; 12-06-2015, 01:45 PM. Reason: added sources for fact checking
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

I believe your correct sir. Twas my mistake The IX that has the schnellnose on the left was a cargo modified minelayer captured with contraband. after surrender within a day or two of the big one. The big type X Milchcow was strictly cargo and fuel supplier, 2 torpedo tubes aft only, had all the "goodies" going to Japan. Most likely used in the last ditch effort to send a monsoon boat to japan around the south America route with out the worries of fuel stops with the cargo till Argentina. The S Africa route was shut at Madagascar by early 1945 so everybody had to go east to get there. The Pasific side of South America all the way to Magdelana bay Baha, had Axis furl stops and bases. U boats and raiders maintained operations, right up to the surrender of Germany. The IJN utilised these ports of call untill mid 1945 as well. Hey Dave, thats the attack scope with the beacon. monkey rigged to the pipe. Obs scope fwd, has the flip top lid shut. Tug towed her in to the harbor, with the flak guns still up and apparently, since the mounts are gone and just about all the storage has been removed it has been there awhile, long enough to get a guard shack on the fantail. Dont get me started on operation "High Jump" But its a posibility, the "going to Japan" story the Kapt told J Edger was a rouse and they were taking the geedunks to the south pole for the secret base there. Sometime google secret base Magdelana bay Baha. Cool story, there. The IJN ended up with one of the 8 type Xs after Germany surrendered and used it a few months, Quit possible it was the delivery boat for the type XXIII to attack the Hoover Dam mission with the rocket. There were reported sightings of a rather large unusual submarine operating out of Magdelana bay, Dec 1944 as well as one with a mini sub larger than the Ko Hyotekis that frequently were operating from that base..
                  Last edited by Von Hilde; 12-08-2015, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Here is a drydock picture of an Alfa. What is that around the prop?Click image for larger version

Name:	Alfa all covered up.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	115978

Comment

• bwi 971
                      Captain
                      • Jan 2015

protectors while in DD/repair yard/warf...... the ones on the planes have them too.....we have seen them on the PAPA also if I'm correct.
                      Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                      "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Well thats possible. I didnt think of that..................but why the wire mesh behind the prop? If they are trying to protect the prop from sandblast sand or from paint overspray, I would have thought that they would have used a tarp on it as well.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Which one could this be, I wonder??

Name:	Guess again.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	116609

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Skate Dudes!

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

So what is this pipe lookin thing in the middle of the deck?

Name:	428c0fb15002c2abcf45925729c0613b.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	117154

Comment

Working...