• greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Stern view from what?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ddq9v32s_93fgsrrjfk_b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	10057016 missle tubes. What type of submarine could it be?
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • Tugfan
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Nov 2010

Russian Delta III

Comment

• KevinMc
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

Nope - this one's a Delta IV. III's have a twin safety track that runs across the missile hatches where the IV's have a single track that runs between the hatches. The detail under the missile hatches is also different between III's and IV's, there's more there on the III.

I'm not sure what the deal is with this particular boat but I know I've seen it before - notice the funny mod to the last four missile doors... I'm not sure why this was done but I'd sure love to know!
      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
      KMc Designs

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Rivet counter!

Obviously, you get access to the superstructure interior when one or some of the after four muzzle hatches are open on this boat. But that is not likely the reason as (and I'm assuming the Commie's have similar rules as us) opening the muzzle hatches over launchers equipped with war-head laden birds is a very, very big security burden.

By the way, we also see a difference on some of the muzzle hatch fairings over some of the launchers aboard TYPHOON class boats as well. Why?

I was a Launcher Tech. aboard the WEBSTER. So, I'm qualified to comment here: I could not help but note the similarities as to form and function of not only the muzzle hatches, but of the fairings over them -- right down to the articulated clam-shell pieces at the outboard radial edge of the deck.

David,
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 12-31-2010, 12:09 PM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...