• Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

HMS Scotsman

Click image for larger version

Name:	S Boats 1 009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	100529

I like the look of this boat. It has to be a great subject for a model. But what is it? (I don't know!)
    Last edited by Kazzer; 12-23-2010, 01:17 PM.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Could it be a British S boat post war? Compare it to one during the war.Click image for larger version

Name:	S%20Boats%203%20018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	60665 With a streamlined casing and sail I would say that its a strong possibility.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

That is HMS Scotsman, a converted s-class.

Many boats were streamlined after WWII, with a program similar to the U.S Guppy, having benefited from the advanced streamlining technology of captured German u-boats.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

i KNEW i WASNT GOING CRAZY. tHE BOW FORWARD OF THE ANCHOR WAS iDENTICAL TO THE WARTIME SHOT THAT i POSTED.
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

And to show the Guppy class, here is USS Croaker, a museum piece moored in Buffalo NY. I visited it a few weeks ago and was given a personal tour over the entire boat. It was very sparse compared to the Clamagore in Charleston and the Drum in Mobile Al. They'd virtually gutted the boat, making bunk spaces larger and many 'work' areas less cluttered. Altogether a much more comfortable vessel perhaps?
          USS Croaker Buffalo NY
          Last edited by Kazzer; 12-23-2010, 10:56 PM.
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Outrider
            Commander
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
            i KNEW i WASNT GOING CRAZY. tHE BOW FORWARD OF THE ANCHOR WAS iDENTICAL TO THE WARTIME SHOT THAT i POSTED.
            The S-class bow had a distinctive profile that seems to have been retained even when the boats were streamlined for the Cold War. (Look at the 7 round holes near the external torpedo tube on the bow. These are also present on most boats throughout their careers.)

I'm pretty sure the photographed boat is Scotsman. Look here for a similar photo: http://home.cogeco.ca/%7Egchalcraft/sm/page10.html The entry on Scotsman is on the bottom of the page.
            Last edited by Outrider; 12-24-2010, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...