Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Ideas for a generic 'how to build a submarine' book

I've been struggling with the idea of a generic book or set of instructions for some time. As we bring out new models, whether they be plastic or fiberglass, the overall problem of inadequate instructions always looms up.

We have some of this stuff already covered in the numerous Cabal Reports The Wizard has written up, but that information is all over the place, so I'd like to ask everyone what they would actually like to see in this book.

The first thing I'd like to cover is the rudder and rear dive planes installation, including X -tails. I think they are difficult and complex to install. I really struggled with OTWs Valiant, and Darnel's Xcraft, particularly lining up the rear dive planes and getting the linkages right. Both these models had very restricted access which I found almost impossible to deal with.

So if you have anything you'd like to see covered, please list it here and we'll get it going!
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • Outrider
    Commander
    • Aug 2008

I see this as being a multi-part exercise.

The Subdriver needs its own instructions, especially as many come as kits now. (The 1.25 inch driver is fairly enigmatic on its own, for example). This will need to include electronics installation and set-up.

There's hull assembly, which has a couple of considerations. First is material (GRP or polystyrene) assembly. I see these as separate chapters. The similar sections can be cut and paste, but the techniques for the two are different enough to warrant a separate section.

Control linkages would work well as a standalone section and can be pretty generic. Obviously this needs to be comprehensive enough to address all the likely combinations. (e.g. standard cruciform tail, X-tail, forward dive planes, ballast systems, etc.)

Operations is deserving of a section. People will actually benefit from some instruction on how to use their sub.

Servicing & Maintenance is a section. (pre-op, post-op, fixing common problems). Believe it or not, it's probably useful to show people how to do things like filling their SubDriver with propel.

Repair is a section. (David has an opportunity awaiting him here).

Lastly, maybe a few tips on search and rescue for those unexpectedly long dives...

Comment

Working...