X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Virtual Goggles

I am planning on purchasing a pair of virtual goggles and the up periscope set sold by Caswell. I plan on using it to navigate my subs through and around obstacles. I was hoping to hear from some who own or who have operated them. I am most concerned with clarity of vision, my being able to focus with them despite there being 1/4" away from my eyeball. If anyone can help me with this I would very much appreciate hearing from you ... Thanks
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
    I am planning on purchasing a pair of virtual goggles and the up periscope set sold by Caswell. I plan on using it to navigate my subs through and around obstacles. I was hoping to hear from some who own or who have operated them. I am most concerned with clarity of vision, my being able to focus with them despite there being 1/4" away from my eyeball. If anyone can help me with this I would very much appreciate hearing from you ... Thanks
    Well, Damit, you're talking to someone who uses those things. Don't sweat it, the goggle video optics are focused for your eyeballs -- the effect is to put you right there in the driver's seat. Sit down when you use them or you'll fall on your ass.

Here is my installation of the camera within the 1/16 Wallace Kits KAIRYU Suicide submarine. The little Swann camera-transmitter is enclosed in a little 1.25" Lexan cylinder, its antenna running up within the single periscope. The camera lens peeks out through the forward observation dead light at the leading edge of the sail.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0136..jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	58408Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0166..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	58406Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0161..jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	58404

Not that Rose is checking the video feed from the remote camera with a small TV monitor -- you would substitute the virtual goggles, Mark.

Name:	DSCN0180..jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	58407Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0177..jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	58405

Oh, dear! ... Where did that come from?

Name:	DSCN0103..jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	58409

Below are some shots of the system married to a 1/72 SKIPJACK r/c submarine. As you can see, the camera-transmitter is simply strapped atop the model -- as long as its antenna is above water (which it is as long as the model remains at or above periscope depth -- you can see all the action through the virtual goggles, no sweat.

Name:	DSCN0033..jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	58410 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0004..jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	58411Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0050..jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	58413

David,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 04-07-2010, 03:21 PM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Thats good to know. As soon as the IRS pays off I think I will get one.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

Working...