X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shamrock
    Lieutenant
    • Jan 2009

signal loss around 3 feet deep

help took boat out yesterday to swimming pool at local campground.she ran just fine on surface.every time i would dive below scope depth she would go straight to bottom.then blow back to surface.at least i know fail safe works great.
    horse power by the hour
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Campground denotes: dirty strange people, freely ****ing in the pool. Therefore, the need by the site Manager to break out the chemicals and fight the filth, turning the water into an antiseptic soup safe for every dirty butt-crack that jumps in. But, all that corrective chemistry produces pool water that is nearly opaque to the radio spectrum we use to operate r/c model submarines.

Remember when people actually scrubbed themselves clean before jumping into the pool -- not much of that going on at the camp-ground pool, I'll put money on it! Hence, your range problem.

I hate strange water!

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
      Captain
      • Sep 2008

In addition...

You probably have no control over the amount nor type of chemicals in the pool but you do have control over maximizing the energy transfer between your transmitter antenna and the receiver antenna.

Try to keep your receiver antenna as straight as possible, i.e., not wrapped around the WTC nor clumped up in little ball.

Dan (K8XW - a ham radio operator and an avid antenna experimenter for over 50 years)
      Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

I think it's worth mentioning here, that at the various pool runs I've organised here in London, the boats equipped with dual conversion receivers experienced far less glitching (pretty much none) compared with boats with single conversion receivers, where the failsafes kicked in with depressing regularity.

There is a lot of debate in the flying community about the perceived advantages of dual conversion, with a lot of folk claiming they're a waste of money. Having always used single conversion receivers in all my models including aeroplanes without any issue, I'd say they had a point.

For this hobby however, where the signal is being pushed to it's limits, they do seem to offer tangible benefits, especially if operating in chemically treated water.

Comment

Working...