X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SSBN659
    Commander
    • Feb 2009

Main sea water suction and discharge question

This photo of a Ben Franklin class boat on dock shows the main sea suction and discharge above the hardhats. I think the suction is the higher opening with a grate. This would mean the lower group of 6 smaller openings must be the discharge. Is this correct, and if so, why the 6 smaller openings? Also, any guesses as to where the water is coming from?

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SSBN659
    This photo of a Ben Franklin class boat on dock shows the main sea suction and discharge above the hardhats. I think the suction is the higher opening with a grate. This would mean the lower group of 6 smaller openings must be the discharge. Is this correct, and if so, why the 6 smaller openings? Also, any guesses as to where the water is coming from?

http://s345.photobucket.com/albums/p...5.jpg&newest=1
    MSW and ASW suctions are grated. The discharges are open. The smaller open holes discharging water are lively air-conditioning and other service heat-exchanger discharges.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSBN659
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

Thanks, but I'm still curious as to why 6 smaller openings for the MSW discharge. All the merchant ships I've sailed on had only one large overboard discharge.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SSBN659
        Thanks, but I'm still curious as to why 6 smaller openings for the MSW discharge. All the merchant ships I've sailed on had only one large overboard discharge.
        The MSW condenser discharge disgorges relatively 'hot' (thermally, not nuclear) water -- stuff that leaves a significant IR signature. Soviet satellites are one means of scanning our patrol areas looking for IR 'anomalies'. Bad Ju-Ju!

The many holes at the single MSW discharge (there are two, one each side) are intended to get the hot water mixed in with the ambient 'cold' water as quickly as possible to negate the sharp IR image that would result if the water was discharged in one big stream -- pretty much like how the F-117 exhaust is quickly mixed with the ambient air to attenuate its IR signature.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSBN659
          Commander
          • Feb 2009

That makes sense now, thanks. Here's how I've modeled it. Still more work needed.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
            The MSW condenser discharge disgorges relatively 'hot' (thermally, not nuclear) water -- stuff that leaves a significant IR signature. Soviet satellites are one means of scanning our patrol areas looking for IR 'anomalies'. Bad Ju-Ju!

The many holes at the single MSW discharge (there are two, one each side) are intended to get the hot water mixed in with the ambient 'cold' water as quickly as possible to negate the sharp IR image that would result if the water was discharged in one big stream -- pretty much like how the F-117 exhaust is quickly mixed with the ambient air to attenuate its IR signature.

David,
            Holy cow there is indeed nothing you don't know David...awesome.
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
            Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

Working...