Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Last Weekends boat Run With The Guy's

The 31st annual Newport News Craft Festival was held at the massive Newport News City Park last weekend. My model boating club, the Virginia Elite Fleet, was invited to again attend and put on a show for the attendees. That we did. This was the first time that Ellie, me, and Rose were there. Wow! What a venue, as the pictures will show.

Just look at that water! And it's fresh too. And the overhanging platform made r/c submarine operation a joy -- the water out there is not too deep and you can barely make out the submerged model all the way to the bottom.

The real crowd pleaser was the Moebius SEAVIEW -- very stately on the surface and a menacing profile submerged. Ran like clockwork.

The 1/72 SKIPJACK was the problem-child of the day -- bad ESC. The one in there was about five-years old and has since been replaced with the larger of the two MTronics ESC's sold by Caswell. No more problems on that front expected!

The little Trumpeter KILO was rock-solid reliable. I was getting 90 minute run times. And I had a whole bunch of kids and adults operating the KILO, looking down on it from the raised pier.

Sunday afternoon Rose sneaked the KILO away to her table and quickly removed the sail (it's magnetically attached to the hull) and replaced it with a quickly painted shark fin she cut out of a used paper plate.

Plunking it in the water she got it underway, dived, and sped it along in a series of tight S-turns. She delighted in the shrieks of, "SHARK, SHARK .... SHARK!" from the audience. That kid's got a real evil steak. Obviously gets it from her Grandmother.

The two-day event closed late Sunday afternoon, just time enough remained for a group photo as we dutifully rendered the secret club salute for the camera ... apparently Rose did not get the memo about the club salute.

I took video too. I'll send Mike a DVD so he can get some of that up and running for you as well.

David,
    Attached Files
    Who is John Galt?
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

hey David, looks like a great location - looks like its not that cold over there yet.

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
      .....we dutifully rendered the secret club salute for the camera ... apparently Rose did not get the memo about the club salute.

David,

I just can't imagine who came up with this unique gesture for a 'club salute'! :wink:

Thankfully Rose has more decorum than the Motley Crew behind her.:wink::wink:
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
        I just can't imagine who came up with this unique gesture for a 'club salute'! :wink:

Thankfully Rose has more decorum than the Motley Crew behind her.:wink::wink:
        LOL. She knows better.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

bump

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK, in America at least I enjoy the title of ‘the r/c submarine guy’, or guru, or God, whatever …

That’s all fine and good and great food for this colossal ego of mine (though in Europe they laugh when they compare my work to theirs, but that’s another story).

But, around here, where people get to know me, I’m simply, ‘that fat r/c submarine dude with the crummy attitude’.

Anyway … Last Saturday I’m with the rest of the local model boaters attending some rally for some god-knows-what event. No, I don’t care! Dennis, Ray, and Darren had already set up the clubs little portable pool in the parking lot -- where we would perform our little part of the events ‘entertainment’, tooling the r/c boats around for the good folk attending. The event promoter had also invited the local fire department, a ten-year old hullo girls (gad, they were awful!) dance troop, a junior karate class (even I can split a board if you orient the grain right!), an antique car club (over fifty cars were scheduled to attend, only three made it!), and a few trinket/T-shirt tents. World’s Fair class event it was not!

And it was windy with drizzle and it was cold! It was so cold that you couldn’t pry Ellie or Rose out of the van with a crowbar! The weather was just F’n miserable!

Anyway … I was the only idiot in the club to plunk models down into the water to show off to the good people who braved the winter type weather. However, some of the model boaters got some stick time with my boats, so all was not lost for them.

Dennis Allen brought his big r/c amphibian tracked vehicle and chased little kids around the parking lot with it. A few tables the club had set up were filled with r/c boats on static display – we gave ‘em a good showing. The event was not a complete disaster.

I was operating the 1/96 Type-212, my little 1/230 SKIPJACK, and the ever-reliable 1/144-KILO. They ran OK, but I did have some hang-ups with the Type-212 linkage back aft, and some minor flooding issues with the SKIPJACK SD; but, no showstoppers, just annoyances that demanded some on-scene maintenance and repair work.

David,
            Attached Files
            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 10-18-2009, 10:59 AM.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

I brought along some of my little 1/230 Revell SKIPJACK's. Kevin Rimrodt and Dennis Allen got more stick time in with these than I did -- it took threats of violence to get the transmitters away from those two!

The perfect little r/c submarine for small pools like this. This little dynamic diver is quick, highly maneuverable and easy to transport and service. Great power economy here too: with only 900mAh of battery I typically get a 90 minute run time.

David,
              Attached Files
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• reddevil
                Commander
                • Jun 2009

From Europe: Everydoby can realize that british and germans (imagine the fellow from China) do things in a different way than yours. I don't think any of them is absolutely superior to the others. The really important matter is that all of you share your knowledge in forums like this and, this way, other persons, like me, can work my own subs and enjoy the time I dedicate to them.
                In my opinion, it's very interesting (and very funny many times) the way all of you explain your works and efforts in these forums.
                Everywhere use to be persons that stand out from anothers due to his work, ideas or personality. It seems to be the case here.

Comment

• pjdog
                  Commander
                  • Apr 2009

I can't believe you give a damn about what Europe thinks after watching your personality the last six months. You and Caswell make the best r/c submarine stuff there is.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by pjdog
                    I can't believe you give a damn about what Europe thinks after watching your personality the last six months. You and Caswell make the best r/c submarine stuff there is.
                    That's very kind of you. But do check out the German site, Sonar. Guy's like Norbert Bruggen, Lothar Mentz and others simply take me back to school. Those guys are the true masters of the game.
                    Attached Files
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Jan 2009

Lord of the sith

The hoodie is a good look for you.
                      Never under estimate the power of the dark side!
                      Last edited by Rick Teskey; 10-20-2009, 11:24 AM. Reason: photo

Comment

• Subculture
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Hmmmm......
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                          Hmmmm......
                          Smart asses!

... don't you two have something to do?

David,
                          Don't underestimate the power of the Dark Side!
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• pjdog
                            Commander
                            • Apr 2009

I didn't know about that german site (sonar). I'll check that out and look up the two guys you said where worth the look.

Jack

Comment

• pjdog
                              Commander
                              • Apr 2009

David:

Those two guys (Norbert Bruggen, Lothar Mentz ) are super r/c sub builders. Most impressive. I had no idea they where so far ahead of the US in R/C subs. Their boats are so complex I would not even think of building a boat like that. I struggled enough with what I've got I'd be lost trying that type of boat.

Thanks for the heads up on them.

jack

Comment

Working...