X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Radio choices problem in Australia -impacting on SD ops

Posted before that we face in Australia a large supplier problem of PPM FM radios. Its getting worse.

The norm here is most radio outlets are now carrying "some" 36 MHZ (legal here) PPM radios but mostly in 6 and 4 channels only. Most carry the 2.4GHZ stuff - no good for subs -or PCM only gear - this too is becoming more limited to get here.

Looking on at the US variety of radios (Polks, WyFly) etc etc, am looking with envy. Seems you guys can score an 8 ch unit compatible with sub ops no problems and for very little money too. The Sombra stuff looks great - its not made however on a freq that's legal here. Legal freqs here are 27,29,35,36,40 MHZ.

I currently have a very nice Futaba 6 ch unit, and herein lies the problem.
    I very much want to run the new torpedo system, but hang on to the full use of the snort system and run both rear and sail planes in all my models.
    Whilst snort and gas can be Y linked in the one channel, I find a dedicated snort channel desirable. This means I currently have in use 2 channels (snort, gas blow, vent), 1 channel throttle, 1 ch rudder, 1 ch rear planes with APC, 1 ch forward planes - that makes 6.

Ok problem is buying an Australian legal 7 -8 channel radio. Can go the F14 Robbe route on 35/36/40 Mhz- but significant bucks in the F14 over what I am seeing sold (8ch) in the US. Any suggestions would be great?

Am thinking in my Collins of running the APC of a 5 volt rail as a completely autonomous operation, thus freeing up a channel. Jim Russell of QLD Australia runs his boat this way. (Although I don't think this is ideal).

Kevin et.al any ideas?

Best
    John
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Do you just want switched (i.e. non proportional controls) for the torpedo system?

It's really easy to convert a single channel to about 10 switched functions using a micro controller.

There are boards out there that can do this for you, and they're not expensive, and they're also very small, so no worries about stowage problems.

If that's of use, let me know, and I'll give you a link.

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
      Do you just want switched (i.e. non proportional controls) for the torpedo system?

It's really easy to convert a single channel to about 10 switched functions using a micro controller.

There are boards out there that can do this for you, and they're not expensive, and they're also very small, so no worries about stowage problems.

If that's of use, let me know, and I'll give you a link.
      Andy - I'll be using whatever David is selling re the torp system - it uses 1 channel to fire multiple shots. Problem I have is I have 6/6 channels in use and 7 plus channel FM-PPM sets on my legal freq are becoming harder to come by down here if not near bloody impossible. I'd rather get a radio with stand alone channels than have another electrical gizmo I don't understand in the WTC cutting channels into multiple positions. I have my hands full driving as is.

Andy - I'll be using whatever David is selling re the torp system - it uses 1 channel to fire multiple shots. Problem I have is I have 6/6 channels in use and 7 plus channel FM-PPM sets on my legal freq are becoming harder to come by down here if not near bloody impossible. I'd rather get a radio with stand alone channels than have another electrical gizmo I don't understand in the WTC cutting channels into multiple positions. I have my hands full driving as is.

Mike this is why I am presently mucking around with RCABS - snort is great but easiest to use IMO on 2 channels - RCABS uses 1.

J
      Last edited by Slats; 07-26-2009, 08:05 AM. Reason: can't spell doh!
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

If 40MHZ is no problem down under, then you have pots of choice, as that's the same as we have over here.

I have an FC16 set, which is basically an F14 with a computer bolted on.

If I was looking for a new set today, and I wanted 8-channels or more, then I'd probably go for a Multiplex.

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

John

I have a bunch of Wfly radios in that frequency, just come in. Haven't even looked at them yet. I had also ordered a top end special, just to see what they were like. Someone in my warehouse shipped it to Nuke Power, and I got a phone call yesterday saying what a wonderful radio it was - especially for $80. I soon wiped the grin off his face when I told him it was mine - for research- and it cost twice x $80. (We'll be having a nice 'staff flogging' on Monday morning! Boy! I do SO enjoy those! It's the blood and screaming!)

Tell me exactly what you want in the ultimate radio, and I'll order them specially - just for you John!
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Geezus, Mike! ... when are you and John going to pick out furniture together?

David,
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
              Geezus, Mike! ... when are you and John going to pick out furniture together?

David,
              Good grief! Who let him out again?

Comment

• pjdog
                Commander
                • Apr 2009

Mike:

Tell us more about the special WFLY radio you got that was mistakenly shipped out. What are it's specialties and is it for use in the United States.

I didn't see it on the radios section of the web site.

Jack

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
                  John

I have a bunch of Wfly radios in that frequency, just come in. Haven't even looked at them yet. I had also ordered a top end special, just to see what they were like. Someone in my warehouse shipped it to Nuke Power, and I got a phone call yesterday saying what a wonderful radio it was - especially for $80. I soon wiped the grin off his face when I told him it was mine - for research- and it cost twice x $80. (We'll be having a nice 'staff flogging' on Monday morning! Boy! I do SO enjoy those! It's the blood and screaming!)

Tell me exactly what you want in the ultimate radio, and I'll order them specially - just for you John!
                  Mike, i'd like 8 channels FM (PPM) and preferably on 36Mhz.
                  That said - I think my solution might come from just getting additional Rx's for my F14 Robbe Futaba-so hold off ordering anything right now.

The other issue I need to consider is that Kevin has custom done 2 APC units for the querky nature of the Futaba Rxs I have. A new radio no doubt might need further adjustments to the APC.

Andy, do you know if Hyperion receivers are compatible for the F14 Robbe Futaba in 40Mhz?

Thanks
                  John
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by pjdog
                    Mike:

Tell us more about the special WFLY radio you got that was mistakenly shipped out. What are it's specialties and is it for use in the United States.

I didn't see it on the radios section of the web site.

Jack
                    That radio wsn't for sale. But the 36mkz ones are. I'll deal with it all later this week, and hopefully post something here.

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Slats
                      Andy, do you know if Hyperion receivers are compatible for the F14 Robbe Futaba in 40Mhz?
                      Yes they're fine. they work with just about any 40mhz radio.

However, I'd recommend Schulze over Hyperion. Ramesh is using these now, and says they're a step up from the Hyperion Rx's (which are good BTW). Glitch free and great range-

They're a lot more compact than the Futaba receivers.

Comment

• KevinMc
                        Commander
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Slats
                        The other issue I need to consider is that Kevin has custom done 2 APC units for the querky nature of the Futaba Rxs I have. A new radio no doubt might need further adjustments to the APC.
                        I wouldn't be too worried about that John - I understand what the problem is and the units you have should work with any PPM system you'll have access to. Further, a much more permanent solution is also in the works.
                        Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                        KMc Designs

Comment

• Slats
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Aug 2008

Thanks Andy, and thanks Kevin,
                          much appreciate the info.
                          J
                          John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                            Yes they're fine. they work with just about any 40mhz radio.

However, I'd recommend Schulze over Hyperion. Ramesh is using these now, and says they're a step up from the Hyperion Rx's (which are good BTW). Glitch free and great range-

They're a lot more compact than the Futaba receivers.
                            Hi Andy,
                            are the schulze ones PPM?
                            Do you have a link to the Hyperion 40MHZ ones? (Can only find for sale in Australia 36 MHZ). I take it Hyperion are PPM too?
                            Thanks
                            John
                            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
                              • Aug 2008

I have 'em! 40mhz 6 channel! WFLY!

Who wants one?

Methinks I should throw one in Slats next order. I need a good revue and bribery works every time!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...