X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Carmel attendees important radio announcement

Straight from The Wizard's cave.

I see a possible bottle-neck situation occurring at the upcoming Carmel SubRegatta this August. We may see too many people on too few r/c system frequencies at the contest. This will result in many people sitting on their hands -- their transmitter stuck at the transmitter impound tent because another guy, on that same frequency, has the pin.

A specific cause of this frequency 'congestion' may be from too many people using the WFly r/c system: Those units arrive to the customer on channel (frequency) 69. Caswell Inc., the major North American distributor of this equipment, has worked to get the WFly company to offer the system on the other 75mHz band channels, but so far to no avail. All the WFly r/c systems out there today are on channel-69.

So, those of you using the WFly transmitter and WFly receiver are stuck if we see a glut of guys using this system at the SubRegatta. Now, there are some fixes to expand the number of channels you can use this system on. I've found that you can use the Futaba, duel-conversion, 75mHz transmitter crystals in the WFly transmitter -- but not in the WFly receiver as it can not physically accept the Futaba receiver crystals. So, if you wish to go with any surface frequency other than channel-69 with the WFly transmitter, you'll have to use another receiver, a receiver with the ability to accept compatible crystals or being of the 'synthetic crystal' type -- with the ability to be set to a specific frequency within the 75mHz band.

If at all possible we recommend you outfit your submarine with either the Sombra-8 or Seeker-6/8 receivers, as these are both small, very selective, sensitive, rugged, and of the synthetic crystal type.

Now, a suggestion to help with the management of frequency control at the event: People list, at a dedicated thread on the SC board, the frequencies of the transmitter(s) they plan to bring to the SubRegatta. This list will also be useful to SubRegatta attendees as they make last minute frequency changes to their equipment, selecting the least used frequencies on the 75mHz band at the SubRegatta. Doing so will permit maximum opportunity of the attendees to run their submarines at the event with the minimum of pin wait time.

To get the ball rolling: I'll be bringing transmitters on the following frequencies: Channel-64, 69, 72, 73, 75, 78 and 79
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • pjdog
    Commander
    • Apr 2009

I didn't see any crystals offered on Caswell web site. Does Caswell offer
    crystals or is this a local hobby shop item?

Jack

Comment

Working...