Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Flags

I have perfected a way of making cloth flags that allows anyone to make a good waterproof flag in a few minutes.

Firstly, I've made a master of several flags and printed them out onto a special paper using a bubblejet printer. fig 1

After cutting out the flag design, fig 2, making sure I have trimmed exactly up to the edges, I folded the cut-out carefully in the middle so the images lay exactly on top of each other. fig 3
    Next, procure some thin cotton sheet, a handkerchief or pillow case etc. Here I am using some sheet from a cotton buffing wheel as is is somewhat yellowed and looks more realistic, I think. Fold the print over the cloth so that the images are aligned as a mirror of each other, fig 4, then iron the entire image with a hot iron.fig 5. While it is still warm, peel the paper backing from both sides and allow to cool. The bubblejet ink images are transferred from the paper to each side of the cloth.

The end result is a flag made of cloth and completely waterproofed.

I can make templates of flags scaled to your boat. Just let me know which flags, and which scales and I'll print up some templates etc. I'll make these available so as long as you have an iron, you can make your own.
    Attached Files
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

The end result! fig 6. The flags can be glued to the pole with some CA adhesive or rtv. They can also be creased, so they look as if they are fluttering.
    Attached Files

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

Looking Good! Mike
      I've been told that transfers done with a Lazer-jet type printer are more durable than those done on an ink-jet (bubble-jet) type printer. Different type transfer-paper is needed also.
      Have you heard anything about that?
      I think you can get transfers done at Kinkos but not sure which type they do? I know someone that had T-shirt transfers made there. Just took the graphics files to them on a memory-stick.
      Rick L.
      --------------------------------------------
      * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
      Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• herrmill
        Commander
        • Dec 2008

Looking very nice Mike. Would you be interested in doing any Civil War era flags for my ironclads? :wink:

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by herrmill
          Looking very nice Mike. Would you be interested in doing any Civil War era flags for my ironclads? :wink:
          Why not! Send me some art work and I print you off a master.

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Flags

The finished job. (Used toothpicks for flagpoles- sorry)
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...