X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nuke Power
    Banned
    • Dec 2008

1/96 Pogy Paint/weathering

Did some painting on my 1/96 USS Pogy today. I also tried out a new weathering technique I learned from one of my magazines that uses salt to create wear spot. I think it worked pretty well.

All you do is paint your base color. Was water over the hull. Use a brush to put table salt over the hull. Let is dry. Paint your top coat. Wipe away the salt.

I think it is a little over stated and might add a clear coat to the bottom to help soften it up a bit. I havent decided what I am going to do. It does look like Neptune took a dump on it though :)

I also need to finish wiping off some of the salt residue. Next I will add the draft markings and slim ring.
    Attached Files
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

I think your salt was a little to coarse. Put it into a coffee grinder, and mush it up smaller, then, instead of brushing it off, simply immerse it in water and dissolve it. I think that would soften it up quite a lot.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Nuke Power
      Banned
      • Dec 2008

It would be hard to get it mush smaller without it just dissolving onto the boat when the water is on it. I do not think disolving would make a difference but you are welcome to try. I am going to wash it now and then hit it with flat primer. Ill then buff the paint with a cotton shirt and see what I get. It wont be as pronounced once the veggitation gets put on aswell. News at 11

Comment

• Slats
        Vice Admiral
        • Aug 2008

All great ideas there and I am going to give that a try soon.

I have used various sponge and smear techniques - via airbrushing on a colour (under the water line), and then hitting the wet paint with light dabbing motion of a dry sponge. You get quite a good effect (speckled) as the some parts of the wet paint hit the sponge and lift of the hull - takes some practice but with some expermenting I found it to be a good weathered effect.

For areas likely to be stained by the draining of water over the surface (upper surfaces) I have been able to achieve similar effects with a slightly wet sponge applied to drying paint. Airbrush on the top coat then wipe gently the sponge in a downward direction, it tends to create an effect of the fine lines running down the hull. - have done something similar with wiping down a recently dried surface with fine wet and dry 800 paper (applied dry) and in one direction only.

I love messing around with different painting ideas - a good techinical thread - I like it.

J
        John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
        Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

Working...