X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jerry
    Ensign
    • Mar 2009

rc radio

May I have some suggestions as to which rc radio system seems to work best when running an RC sub.
    Thanks, Jerry
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by jerry
    May I have some suggestions as to which rc radio system seems to work best when running an RC sub.
    Thanks, Jerry
    PPM / FM units on a Frequency that is legal for your country.

GHZ frequencies do not work underwater/ PCM units can be problematic. AM units (if you can still buy them) - work but FM is better.

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

The main thing is to get a system with enough channels to operate all the functions you may want in your models and matches your models. Usually 7 channels is sufficient.
      FM/ppm seems to be the most popular now.
      I still like the older obsolite AM (75. mhz surface band), tho. Obsolite mainly because companies stopped making them due to higher component parts cost. AM has a little more range under water.
      For a beginner FM is definitely the best way to go now, tho. But the most expensive system is not always the best system. They can get too complcated with information overload.
      Most Transmitters are designed to operate airplanes or cars but there are some with special control layouts that work well with boats. I could never find a transmitter exactly like I wanted it so had to build my own. Try to find one that matches the requirements of the model types you will be building. Since you don't want to have to buy a different Transmitter for each model.
      Last edited by toppack; 05-05-2009, 02:34 PM.
      Rick L.
      --------------------------------------------
      * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
      Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

I always found my old 27mhz AM sets much more prone to interference than my 40mhz FM sets, especially motor generated noise.

2,4ghz sets are reported to be glitch free, but the frequency is too high for subs.

Comment

• toppack
          Rear Admiral
          • Nov 2008

Yes I agree, the 27.mhz band is terrible, 75.mhz is the band to use on AM.
          There are many commercial and industrial systems close to the 27.mHz band, which causes interference problems.

There are not only different types of frequency modulation but many freq.-bands, to choose from.
          So you don't want to buy the first 'Pretty one' you see. Check around and see what's the most popular and best for your area of the world, at the time, and you will come closer to getting a good one. ;)
          Last edited by toppack; 05-05-2009, 02:53 PM.
          Rick L.
          --------------------------------------------
          * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
          Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

It's not a legal band in the UK.

Comment

Working...