• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

Propel usage - basics

Mike & Co.,

I'm new to this use of gas for ballast systems so be gentle. I asked this question over on the SP forum and got some help but then I thought, "Whoa, why don't I ask this at the home of the GasMasters?" Here goes:

I was having trouble filling a ballast tank with Propel until Ralph, over on the SP forum, reminded me to turn the gas can upside down when filling it. Basic stuff, right? So obvious. But not to a total newbie knucklehead like me. Maybe you should create a .pdf file in your basic sub info section that outlines, step-by-step, how to use your Propel gas system without leaving out "anything obvious" (to you but not to a newbie). It would cover such topics as a) how long to hold the gas can on the ballast tank inlet valve, b) temperature equalization, c) pressure equalization, d) is it possible to overfill?, e) other helpful hints. Just a suggestion, OK?

Dan
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.
  • junglelord
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

You would be amazed how a little bit of information and pics goes a long way....you would also be amazed how a bit of missing information or pics....makes it a frustrating go. Complete information is invaluable, 98% complete can drive you nuts. AKA Seaview linkages.

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

Yes, that would be Great.
      But I think Mike and David are 'Way too busy' with a long list of production projects to complete, so I would Not expect a 'newbies instruction book' any time soon. :D
      Unless you can find a volunteer somewhere that's not to busy right now. :D LOL
      Rick L.
      --------------------------------------------
      * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
      Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• SteveJ
        Lieutenant
        • Aug 2008

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Slats
        After chilling down the propel container within the Subdriver....is there a rule of thumb for how long it takes to fully charge the propel storage vessel with propel?

I know this will depend upon the size / volume of the storage vessel - but I still think I am not charging correctly.

Thanks

John
        You can over-fill the on-board bottle and that would be dangerous (a blown flexible hose could be the result). I do this: Charge the on board bottle, then vent the entire contents quickly (you only put a little in, the transfer of liquid stopped the moment the pressure in the can and on-board bottle equalized), this chills the bottle, lowering its energy. Charge again and hold the charging adapter in place a full five-seconds -- this time it took much more liquid to reach the same pressure in the on-board bottle as the can, and you should have filled the on-board bottle about 1/3 full of Propellant, which is the desired amount. David,

Hope this helps

Steve J
        Last edited by SteveJ; 04-16-2009, 04:17 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SteveJ
          And then! If you are using the gas only as a fail-safe system, and have a Snort set-up on board, then trying to get the gas bottle fully loaded is perhaps a waste of time. In this situation, I simply charge it up once, without chilling it. After all, you aren't going to actually use the gas 99.999% of the time, and when you do, you only need to blow the ballast tank once!

As for producing a Newbie pdf file, I doubt we'd ever cover all those bases. I'm fairly new at this but the Propel upside down problem is one I'd never have thought of.

Perhaps I should start a new forum heading?

SILLY QUESTIONS FROM NEWBIES!
          Here you can expect to be chastized, laughed at, put through the ringer by his Eminence, and made to feel thoroughly stupid for asking daft questions! Go for it! :)

But then, Merriman would be encouraged to come out of his cave more often, and that isn't maybe a good idea? What do you think?
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• SteveJ
            Lieutenant
            • Aug 2008

Here you can expect to be chastized, laughed at, put through the ringer by his Eminence, and made to feel thoroughly stupid for asking daft questions! Go for it!
            Mike sounds like fun...If you dont want to swim with the sharks then dont jump into the tank:D

Yes I am a newbie...but learning fast

Steve J

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
              And then! If you are using the gas only as a fail-safe system, and have a Snort set-up on board, then trying to get the gas bottle fully loaded is perhaps a waste of time. In this situation, I simply charge it up once, without chilling it. After all, you aren't going to actually use the gas 99.999% of the time, and when you do, you only need to blow the ballast tank once!

As for producing a Newbie pdf file, I doubt we'd ever cover all those bases. I'm fairly new at this but the Propel upside down problem is one I'd never have thought of.

Perhaps I should start a new forum heading?

Here you can expect to be chastized, laughed at, put through the ringer by his Eminence, and made to feel thoroughly stupid for asking daft questions! Go for it! :)

But then, Merriman would be encouraged to come out of his cave more often, and that isn't maybe a good idea? What do you think?
              I like it.

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
                I like it.

David,

You have a new forum!
                Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• roedj
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2008

Mike & Master "M",

Thanks for your responses. In regards to the abuse and humiliation, I'm married and so am used to it.

Honestly, I was thinking of just a short .pdf addition to the "New to model submarines" thread in the General Topics forum. Sort of a step-by-step menu on how to use a Propel based ballast system.

More info would always be welcomed. Thanks again,

Dan
                  Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

Working...