X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

flying underwater

I really want one of these, neutral bouyant, no balast, dynamic divers. Fly underwater, yank and bank turns, just like an airplane. No balast means no roll in the turns due to centrafugal force balast shift. Full size would be great, but a 1/4scale model is feasable. Click image for larger version

Name:	sub.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	103569Click image for larger version

Name:	1890_01.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	103570then theres the real flying sub(model)Click image for larger version

Name:	thCAFGM66J.jpg
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	103571the Manta looking protrusions forward are the canard elevons. Flying and diveing pitch control. No idea about the power source, but definately integrated turbine thruster.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	dmerrimanmoreflysub1017t.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	98872 Click image for larger version

Name:	dmerrimanmoreflysub1016t.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	98873 Click image for larger version

Name:	dmerrimanmoreflysub1015t.jpg
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	98874 Click image for larger version

Name:	dmerrimanmoreflysub1014t.jpg
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	98875 Click image for larger version

Name:	dmerrimanmoreflysub1013t.jpg
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	98876 Click image for larger version

Name:	dmerrimanmoreflysub1012t.jpg
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	98877 Click image for larger version

Name:	dmerrimanmoreflysub1011t.jpg
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	98878 Click image for larger version

Name:	dmerrimanmoreflysub1018t.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	98879 Click image for larger version

Name:	dmerrimanmoreflysub1019t.jpg
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	98880 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0093.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	98881 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0096.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	98882 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0047.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	98883 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0051.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	98884Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0027.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	98885 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0142.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	98886 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0040.jpg
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	98887
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 06-24-2015, 12:16 PM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• bwi 971
      Captain
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Von Hilde
      I really want one of these, neutral bouyant, no balast, dynamic divers. Fly underwater, yank and bank turns, just like an airplane. No balast means no roll in the turns due to centrafugal force balast shift. Full size would be great, but a 1/4scale model is feasable. [ATTACH=CONFIG]31699[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31700[/ATTACH]then theres the real flying sub(model)[ATTACH=CONFIG]31701[/ATTACH]the Manta looking protrusions forward are the canard elevons. Flying and diveing pitch control. No idea about the power source, but definately integrated turbine thruster.
      The 1/1 version is a bargain......but a 1/4 scale must be awesome indeed David.

grtz,
      Bart

DEEPFLIGHT SUBMARINE SUPER FALCON MARK II

For Your Eyes Only may not rank as one of the better Bond films, but it did feature a pretty cool submarine that attacked Agent 007 in the film. Now, the man who created that sub has come up with a new personal luxury submarine, and you don’t even have to be a supervillain to enjoy it (but it helps).

The Deepflight Submarine Super Falcon Mark II by Graham Hawkes is 17 feet long and seats two, with each person getting their own bubble-glass cockpit. Oh, and it goes for $1.7 million. The craft can dive up to 400 feet, and its wings on the side and stabilizers in the rear will keep you (or your very rich uncle) steady as you look for mini-Titanics.

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
      "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Von Hilde
        Rear Admiral
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by bwi 971
        The 1/1 version is a bargain......but a 1/4 scale must be awesome indeed David.

grtz,
        Bart

DEEPFLIGHT SUBMARINE SUPER FALCON MARK II

For Your Eyes Only may not rank as one of the better Bond films, but it did feature a pretty cool submarine that attacked Agent 007 in the film. Now, the man who created that sub has come up with a new personal luxury submarine, and you don’t even have to be a supervillain to enjoy it (but it helps).

The Deepflight Submarine Super Falcon Mark II by Graham Hawkes is 17 feet long and seats two, with each person getting their own bubble-glass cockpit. Oh, and it goes for $1.7 million. The craft can dive up to 400 feet, and its wings on the side and stabilizers in the rear will keep you (or your very rich uncle) steady as you look for mini-Titanics.

saw Hunter Ellis fly one of the operating Deep Flight Falcons painted like a blue angles Fa 18. He said operating it is just like the F18 but slower response. Falcon II's are pricey for sure, but there are other one off designs for the solo diver. sone are not powered but towed by a surface vessel, that atr real cheap and easy to build.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Norbert Bruggen does a great kit of the aviator in 1/8th scale.

Roll is generally a function of hull shape, and appendages like the fin/sail. Some systems which maintain an exposed water surface can contribute to instability, especially if inadequately baffled.

Comment

• bwi 971
            Captain
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Subculture

Roll is generally a function of hull shape, and appendages like the fin/sail. Some systems which maintain an exposed water surface can contribute to instability, especially if inadequately baffled.
            True Andy, and the same guy (Graham Hawkes) who designed the real Aviator has designed the above one see http://www.deepflight.com/ (me: drooling like homer simpson and making Gurgle noises).

Grtz,
            Bart
            Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
            "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture

An active (reactive to roll) control surface to fight the inboard roll is presented here.

By the way, the inboard roll of a conventionally configured modern submarine (excluding snap-roll phenomena) to a turn is exclusively owing to the force exhibited by the sail.

Here's a means of killing the sail rolling moment:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4096.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	98889Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9276.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	98890 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8591.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	98891 Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	98892 Click image for larger version

Name:	004_003_ygp7313.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	98893

A dorsal rudder. As employed on the USS ALBACORE.

Watch the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhAG-7W_5kA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSr41K5Uaj4

The models dorsal rudder is active. Note that even in the tightest underwater turn the boat does not roll into the turn.

But, there is a bad side to everything: the dorsal rudder produces A LOT of drag, which slows the boat down when not running straight. But, then again, fish-tailing the rudder with an active dorsal rudder does a great job of putting on the breaks -- something nice to have in our bag of ship-control tricks should you suffer a stern plane casualty.

M
              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 06-24-2015, 06:12 PM.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ffr2608
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Oct 2009

I had elevon control on a 1/72 Thor Alfa....Bow planes hooked to 2 servos and a mixer. Used an aircraft type radio and flew that thing through the turns. Rudder was on the left stick and coordinated the turns just like RC aircraft. This was my most recent attempt. No roll control due to space limitations but it still flies really well.

Stay tuned for a future build of mine. It W I L L have aileron control......

D

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

I wonder what it felt like doing a tight turn in the full size Albacore? As the bubble went left (or right) I wonder if all those guys felt unbalanced in the turn?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by HardRock
                    I wonder what it felt like doing a tight turn in the full size Albacore? As the bubble went left (or right) I wonder if all those guys felt unbalanced in the turn?
                    Ever notice a bubblehead that has just come ashore, walks funny and wobbles standing still? Something to it.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

I can only imagine it would throw you to one side of the sub. When I drive a turn that has a bank or slope to it, the force pushes me in my seat, but if a turn is level, I am leaning or pushed to one side. I wonder if that was the same on the Albacore?
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Von Hilde
                        Ever notice a bubblehead that has just come ashore, walks funny and wobbles standing still? Something to it.
                        Oh. I thought that was due to rum, sodomy and the lash.

Comment

• Albion
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                          Oh. I thought that was due to rum, sodomy and the lash.
                          Great album
                          Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

Working...