X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SSBN659
    Commander
    • Feb 2009

Main deck tangent line

What is the "Main Deck Tangent Line"? I see this on a drawing for SSBN642. How do I use this to develop the cross sections?
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

If I remember correctly the tangent-line of the hull is the center line or reference-line from the keel up thru decks.
    You need a cross-sectional drawing, to get hull contour shapes.
    Last edited by toppack; 03-01-2009, 03:23 PM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SSBN659
      What is the "Main Deck Tangent Line"? I see this on a drawing for SSBN642. How do I use this to develop the cross sections?
      Within the NavShips/NavSea 'booklet of General Plans' you find the docking drawing(s). The sections are there. The first pages of the Piping TAB will have low resolution plan, and profile, with selected sections.

David,
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSBN659
        Commander
        • Feb 2009

Main deck tangent line

Thanks, but unfortunately all I have from the NAVSEA TAB is the Exterior Installations FWD and AFT which when taped together give me a main deck arrangement and profile. From these two drawings I was hoping to develop several cross sections. The more I look at the problem the more I'm thinking it may be more difficult than I thought.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks, but unfortunately all I have from the NAVSEA TAB is the Exterior Installations FWD and AFT which when taped together give me a main deck arrangement and profile. From these two drawings I was hoping to develop several cross sections. The more I look at the problem the more I'm thinking it may be more difficult than I thought.

Listen, the only thing you need sections on are the missile deck (superstructure), sail, control surfaces and horizontal stabilizers. The hull is a tapered cylinder -- plan and profile establish that.

The plan and profile of your drawings indicate the root and tip profile (section) of the control surfaces and horizontal stabilizers, and those surfaces are all of constant tapper, so you have enough in the plans to form those. Same with the sail (plan view indicates root and top of sail section). So, the sail can be built with those drawings.

That leaves only one unknown for you: the sections of the missile deck. However, you know its profile and you know the transverse distances at specific frame locations from the plan - where the missile deck intersects the hull. So, the only measurement you need is the width of the missile deck itself. Work that out and tapper it at the turtleback and bow and you have the selected sections for and aft of the 16 missile tube clam-shell doors.

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSBN659
            Commander
            • Feb 2009

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
              Did you crew on that boat?

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSBN659
                Commander
                • Feb 2009

One more question. Is the width of the missile deck the distance between the port and stbd main deck tangent lines?

Comment

• SSBN659
                  Commander
                  • Feb 2009

No, Will was my nickname at the academy. I've been researching this boat for years to build a display model for my office at home. One day I'll get there.

Comment

• Aug 2008

One more question. Is the width of the missile deck the distance between the port and stbd main deck tangent lines?
                    I don't understand the 'tangent line' Is it an athwart-ship datum line or something. Without knowing that I can't give you an answer.

David,
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

No, Will was my nickname at the academy. I've been researching this boat for years to build a display model for my office at home. One day I'll get there.
                      Why not get the 1/96 Scale Shipyard kit and be done with it -- pretty good, just fix the turtleback and it'll build into a very accurate model of the 616/640 class.

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSBN659
                        Commander
                        • Feb 2009

Here is a scan of the page showing the Main Dk Tangent lline. I thought about buying a kit but of doing a scratch build would give me more satisfaction.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Here is a scan of the page showing the Main Dk Tangent lline. I thought about buying a kit but of doing a scratch build would give me more satisfaction.
                          Yes, that illustration clarifies: that line on the plan view denotes the transition between the flat deck and beginning of the radius that transitions into the sloping flat sides of the missile deck and terminus at the forward and after ends of the missile deck.

The radius of the curves remains the unknown here. Study your photos and I think you'll be damn close. You now have enough dope to begin construction. Good luck with it.

David,
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SSBN659
                            Commander
                            • Feb 2009

Thanks David, that's what I wanted to confirm. As always, I appreciate your help.:)

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks David, that's what I wanted to confirm. As always, I appreciate your help.:)

Anytime. Keep us informed here on how work goes with it.

David,
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...