X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Dave,
    It is quiet, but it seems for the most part it is quiet all over. That does not mean building is not going on, it just means people are not posting. You are doing a great job and I love your sub in those water shots. Cheers!
    David,
    Brilliant. I learned something new. Cutting it out of a layer of clay and filling it is just plain simple, but brilliant! Screening the towed array fairing also up there. You show periscope also as being done this way, do you do two halves and put them together?

Thank you both for posting!
    Last edited by trout; 01-17-2015, 04:00 PM.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

SCREEDING, damit! ... it's called screeding!!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0102.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	93235 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0107.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	93236 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0093.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	93237 Yes, when faced with a structure of constant section, linear screeding is a very good choice. And, yes the scope farings -- which are of tear-drop section -- are good candidates for this process, you screed out a half-shape, pop it off the mold board, cut it in half and glued the faces together, and you have a fairing master. Such as the work here for our 1/96 Type-212 fittings kit. Just for fun I placed the well done 1/144 Revell of Germany Type-212 kit masts next to my work.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Tell your spell check it is screeding!
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
          Tell your spell check it is screeding!
          HA!....

Here's more screeding for you: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/foru...c,23553.0.html

OK, we've hijacked Dave's thread long enough ...

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
            Rear Admiral
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
            Boats looking good, Dave. Hey, the rational for the towed aray fairing is a sound one: it worked.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29675[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29676[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29677[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29678[/ATTACH] Another way to make those circular bulkheads for you, Dave

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29679[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29680[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29681[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]29682[/ATTACH] Try this idea next time you need to make fairings for the hull -- a linear varioution on the screeding technique shown above. You screed them out of Bondo or other such automotive two-part filler -- this material (polyester based) is a bit thermoforming, so after you take the cured part and subject it to heat, you can bend it to conform to the hull and even the tight radius where the fairing jumps off the hull and meets the tip of the horizontal stabilizers.

M
            Wow, another slick trick to try. I may icorporate a cookie cutter type device to make some special shapes. Beats cutting sheet with the bandsaw.

Comment

• Davidh
              Captain
              • Nov 2010

Thanks Dave,

Yes, I've used that technique (screeding) for minor repairs now and then. You have taken it to a whole new level.

This is a brief post untill I can get some better shots organised. I also need to take some photos of the internal layout because I don't have many of them.

Dave H
              Attached Files

Comment

• Davidh
                Captain
                • Nov 2010

Hello all,

Here are some pics taken today at the Gosford Sub regatta. Resolution ran well however I still need to get her trim nailed down. Her upper rudder came loose from the bottom one and the yoke. However have managed to solder it back on.

David H

Name:	resolution 1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	110451 Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution 2.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	110452 Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution 3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	110453 Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution 4.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	110454 Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution 5.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	110455

Comment

• Aug 2008

Congratulations -- you're that rare bird who not only builds, but puts the thing into the water. Good on ya, sir!

More pictures!

M
                  Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 10-03-2015, 02:32 PM. Reason: ... because I'm an idiot!
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Yes please more pictures. Your sub looks fantastic and very sharp in the water. Outstanding! The HMS Resolution is a great looking sub. Thank you for posting.

Comment

• Davidh
                      Captain
                      • Nov 2010

Thanks Guys, much appreciated

Here are some more pics. It was a really good regatta. Today was hot,

Name:	resolution 2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	110466 Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution 3.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	110467 Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution 4.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	110468 Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution 5.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	110469 Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution 6.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	110470 Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution 7.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	110471 Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution 10.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	110474 Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution 9.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	110473 Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution 8.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	110472 Click image for larger version

Name:	resolution 7.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	110477 up to 35 degrees. Probably lots of people complaining at reception about how the 50m pool was closed off on such a hot day for the sub nerds...

We had about 20 guys with their boats. It was good to catch up with lots of people.

David H

Attached Files

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

David. Really great pictures Sir!
                        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

You should see it in the flesh (or fiberglass, whatever). A very impressive boat and made from SCRATCH - from bits of wood and Dave's imagination, and some plans, and filler and other stuff. Hats off to you guys who have the ability to make something out of nothing. Truely impressive.

Comment

• Davidh
                            Captain
                            • Nov 2010

Thankyou for the great words there Scott / Greenman, Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2912.JPG
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	110614 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2913.JPG
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	110615 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2914.JPG
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	110616 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2915.JPG
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	110617 Appreciated..

Here are some more pics just through. As mentioned earlier these photos look great ,viewed on my computer big, but with this new format it's a bit pot luck how the size will turn out.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Davidh
                              Captain
                              • Nov 2010

NOT HAPPY,

I was just happened to be looking over at the subcommittee website (ssssh don't tell HWSNBN) and saw that one Steve Pryce over in the UK has doing some more work on developing the parts for his kick-ass Resolution masters that are due to be released as a Ron Perrot Kit. I took a hard look at his work and made me realise that my resolution is simply not up to scratch.

I had for some time after finishing the Mike thought that I may turn my attention back to re doing Resolution. At first I simply thought about re doing the scribing and the missile deck. thinking that this is really what it needed. I would then to some silicon moulds now that the Mike has sold me on using this technique.

Well the more I looked at my boat and some slowly emerging photos that are finally coming out of the UK regarding this boat I realised that a missile deck redo would not really cut it. I would have to do more. So pulling out the masters that had been languishing up in the roof I have decided to make some pretty drastic mods on the master. This class of submarine has proven to be something I just cant leave alone until I'm happy with it.

I have got every picture that I can and have had a good look at Steve's work and realise for starters that the missile deck is too high and not wide enough. So I pulled off the missile deck split it in two and inserted an extending piece of wood to widen it. The next thing I did was take to the bow section of hull and introduce it to a rasp. Violent and dusty but already she was looking good. The bow section was too raised upon study of photos not circular enough in cross section. I have then gouged out the underside of the removable missile deck so that she sits lower on the hull. Unlike my first set of moulds the missile deck will be moulded in one piece to the whole upper hull. I am going to try not to re mould the lower hull. It does not really need it ... for now at least, fingers crossed

David H
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Davidh; 03-22-2016, 05:10 AM.

Comment

• Davidh
                                Captain
                                • Nov 2010

Hello all,

I have spent time here and there accumulating more pictures of this SSBN. I have even emailed the MOD again and requested more images of the R class boats preferably in dry dock with views of the stern. They told me they would get back to me around April 8th. I just hope they don't waste time saying they will put off the decision for another month and then another...

The bow section on this boat is the hardest thing to get right. There are subtle curves everywhere and as mentioned a distinct lack of good photographs. Anyway I have been plodding along further and ascertaining as best as possible a more accurate bow shape. The biggest difference being the lowering and widening of the missile deck. This has lowered the angle at which the middle deck lowers to the bow. Based on photos that I have I 'll also round the extreme bow further. Getting the overall shape right is common to all of the class however I have not come across a boat in which all four sisters had such deviation in fittings and configurations at different times. They all look subtly different. The bow of resolution looks noticeably different to revenge at any given time. Trying to get good photos is hard enough, trying to get lots of good photos of the one boat in the class, darn near impossible and pinning down a specific time period when the boat sported that look is another thing entirely.

Several times I have put the boat on the marking board and scribed around the hull. Up and over getting profile line and contours. Once again this is the case. these photos show the hull up on the board. The scribe lines are vertical and horizontal. One of the easiest things to do is take some photos of the hull with these lines and then print them off. Take a clear overhead sheet and draw the contour lines on one side then flip. So far so good, my contours are very close.. The biggest challenge has been to get the evolution of the square deck from the missile area forward to the subtle and gradual transition to the rounded bow section at the front. Looks simple, not at all.

I have had to fill out the bow a little especially up near the top where the sonar dome is. The Sonar dome has evolved over time. The giant protective screens placed over all the boats at launch has caused nothing but problems for interpretation. Is the dome bulged or flat? Depends on what time period and which boat, is the answer...

Name:	_DSC5042.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	113265

Name:	_DSC5048.JPG
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	113266 Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC5041.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	113267 Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC5053.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	113268 Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC5055.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	113269

I am playing tag team with Steve Pryce over at the Subcommittee where we are both trying to elude the secrets of these two boats. The biggest revelation for me has been that the rear planes do not feature a swept trailing edge, a design error that has been perpetuated on many a model. This was glaringly revealed in some recent pics. They are straight. guess I will have to re model these too. I have rounded the sides of the missile deck to as the missile doors extend a distance down the sides.

Anyway, more sanding back resin coating and more sanding back, one day I'll be more happy. then I can start looking at scribing...

Back to doing my head in trying to interpret photographs and awaiting the MOD to stall on me again?...

David H

Comment

Working...