X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

1/72 los angelos

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the Mike Shubar 1/72 Los Angelos hull? Its supposed to be 60" long and 5.25" in Diameter. Comes with two props of different pitches but both a 2" in diameter and change. Hes got a different guy making them for him. One of my concerns is hull scribing and fit and finish. He says that the hull will come fully scribed and will also be available in a kit form as well, with cylinder and brakets and all such other stuff.
    My thoughts were that If it was a good quality hull , I could use the 3&1/2" Subdriver out of the Oscar. Since the Oscar is twin prop, I could put the drives outputs into a Dumas Gearbox with one output to give me around 4.5 to 1 . Maybe a little too slow....I dont know. The ballast tank might be too big , so I could put a styrofoam filler piece in the ballast tank to reduce its volume. The other option would be to take the one out of the Skipjack but I think that its ballast tank would be too small.
    Your thoughts please.
    Last edited by greenman407; 07-11-2014, 10:21 PM.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

As long as the GRP above waterline is of a mean 3/32" wall thickness or less, that SKIPJACK SD's ballast tank will work just fine. Keep in mind that the LA's had less than a 15% reserve buoyancy -- that equates to not much ballast tank volume needed to get the best up to designed waterline.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Thanks Dave. I like the flight 1s the best with the sail planes. The later "Improveds" dont look as good. Since the Skipjack Subdriver uses the SAS, it only makes since that the Los Angelos would also be rigged for it. Im assuming that I could fit a valve in the sail in the same manner.

Comment

• Aug 2008

The thinner sail would likely be a candidate for a 'vertical' type snorkel head-valve and induction pipe. E-mail me if and when you get to the point of needing one, Mark.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

I got it to work in this big 1/72 PERMIT/THREASHER model. Cake-walk in your narrow assed 1/72 LA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9679.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	91713Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8973.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	91714Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8978.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	91715Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8960.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	91716Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8970.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	91717

Note that the 1/72 PERMIT/THRESHER model has enough freeboard to permit the low mounted, horizontal type snorkel induction head-valve to work -- not so with your low freeboard LA. You'll have to use a vertical type snorkel assembly mounted high within the sail. I'll fix you up.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Thanks Dave, I know I can always count on you. Im also very impressed with Pete Piekarskis Seawolf and Virginia models. Im trying to get a hold of him. Maybe hes out of business.Click image for larger version

Name:	VA-4_lg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	91727Click image for larger version

Name:	VA-6_lg.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	91728Click image for larger version

Name:	VA-8_lg.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	91729

Comment

• Aug 2008

You know me -- I'm loath to render a critical comment about a competitors product. But, know this ...

... Pete puts out a fine product. Shubar's GRP kits are living, breathing, steaming, maggot infested piles of ****.

But, that's just me. Your mileage may differ.

2" seems a bit small in diameter for a 1/72 LA wheel, by the way.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

I was thinking the same thing myself about the prop. Youll notice that Pete gives us some upclose shots of the detail of his boats. I havent been able to find any of Shubars. I wonder if.......................

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

The Phone number(Pete Piekarski) from his website is "No Longer in Service". Hes also not answering the email. I guess that means No Virginia. If anyone knows how to get a hold of him, please let me know. Thanks

Comment

Working...