• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ Jarvis
    Ensign
    • Jun 2014

HELP!! I'm new to this!

Hi all,
    I'm what you would call an extreme novice to submarines, but I thought I'd challenge myself to make and create something that I've never attempted before...
    Sounds stupid, but what are the fundamentals I need to get my project off the ground (or into the water)

My aims are to have it do what a sub would normally do... But be able to control it from my smart phone.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers Russ.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

First off, Russ: R/c model submarining is not an 'entry level' r/c vehicle activity.

Give the class your qualifications to date. Then I'll tell you if you're ready to take this plunge.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
      Commander
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Russ Jarvis
      My aims are to have it do what a sub would normally do... But be able to control it from my smart phone.
      Hi Russ,

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but understand that the radio in your phone (bluetooth and WiFi) operate at 2.4GHz and has far too little power to get a signal to any depth under water - it's a really neat idea but I'd save that one for a surface runner.

KMc
      Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
      KMc Designs

Comment

• Russ Jarvis
        Ensign
        • Jun 2014

Hi Kevin,
        Thats just the advice I kinda needed...

And he who shall not be named...
        As for my qualifications? I don't see how they're prevalent to what I am asking...
        Am I a engineer? No
        Am i a electrician? No
        Do I get up in the morning put my clothes on and go to work? Yes...
        I understand that r/c sumarine-ing isn't gonna be for the feint hearted, but thats the whole reason for challenging ones self,I have an idea of what I want to achieve, the only difference is you have the expertise I don't have because you'll have spent years dedicating yourself to this...
        so you can look down on me from your pedestal... But all I asked was the fundamentals I need to get going.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Dave was referring to your previous model making experience. Ever built a model boat or a model aircraft?

Most people who experience success in this field usually have a few years of modelmaking experience under their belt in other areas, even then it's still a tough ride and you never really quit learning.

Finally bear in mind that we get a lot of people asking these same questions over and over and over again. Usually they ask for the anatomy of a ducks backside, then vanish into the haze.

So have a search on past posts on this forum and elsewhere, and you should find many of the answers you're looking for already.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Hi Kevin,
            Thats just the advice I kinda needed...

And he who shall not be named...
            As for my qualifications? I don't see how they're prevalent to what I am asking...
            Am I a engineer? No
            Am i a electrician? No
            Do I get up in the morning put my clothes on and go to work? Yes...
            I understand that r/c sumarine-ing isn't gonna be for the feint hearted, but thats the whole reason for challenging ones self,I have an idea of what I want to achieve, the only difference is you have the expertise I don't have because you'll have spent years dedicating yourself to this...
            so you can look down on me from your pedestal... But all I asked was the fundamentals I need to get going.
            Are you going to be successful? No.

Are you a dumb-ass who, after spending a lot of money, will walk-away from the project half-finished? Yes.

Do I give a Tinker's damn what you think? **** no.

Now, run along, start simple with r/c toys, progress, and only join us once you're up to speed on the basics of r/c vehicle, design, fabrication, and operation.

(watch that door-knob on your way out).

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Russ, if you are put off by David asking about qualifications, you will be very put off by his last comment. Here is the "Thing" you are missing, building a successful diving submarine is the most difficult hobby I have ever done. You have to have a true desire to push through adversary. You also need some hand-eye coordination. I remember my first kick in the pants by David, but I moved forward. Do you have that determination?
              Andy is right we have a few here that have not built a sub, but contribute a great deal. If you search the postings, you will see the true character of the people here, which is to help you succeed. Look when someone has a problem, how David responds. There is a pedestal that he sits on, but he has no problem getting down from it and get dirty to help those that are willing to build. So, do you still want to build that sub? If so, let's get moving. Pick up a Skipjack or a Bronco Type XXIII or one of the other easier to assemble kits. Get a sub-driver ballast system and begin the learning portion of R/C submarines. There are areas you can not describe accurately, that will drive you batty. Once you have learned to tackle that, then move on to adding iPad or iPhone interactions. Kevin is right you can not directly control your sub from the mobile devices. If your great with electronics, build a modulator to convert the signal from your device into one that will handle underwater signals. First build a working sub.
              Peace,
              tom
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• SSBN659
                Commander
                • Feb 2009

Don't give up based on comments from the "Man in the Cave". Yes, he is very blunt. But under all that he is a wealth of information and has always been ready to help with a problem you might have. And he stands by his products.

I've been interested in model subs for over twenty years and I'm still learning. Spend some time reading the wealth of good information on this and other sites. Consider first buying and assembling a kit sub. That's what I did. It came with a Water Tight Cylinder (now called a Sub-Driver) but I also had to buy a transmitter, servos, battery and charger not to mention some wires, connectors, etc. It wasn't cheap, over a thousand dollars to get started.

Then putting it all together and running it was a learning experience. I remember when I was running my new sub at our community pool and a little girl watching me said "Why is it sitting on the bottom?" Yes, it had a leak and I went swimming. Since then I've built my own hull from scratch just to prove to myself I could do it. But keep in mind it has taken a few years to get to that point.

So, bottom line is don't get discouraged, do your research, ask the questions, and have fun at this great hobby.

"Will" Rogers
                SSBN659

Comment

• Russ Jarvis
                  Ensign
                  • Jun 2014

ok, now the pleantries are out the way,

I have had experience in making r/c cars, to nitro cars, that started around the age of 8 and finished around the age of 15...the time after that was spent "growing up", they were old skool diy kits ... I was just starting to dabble in r/c boats but I found girls and they sorta took all my money away from r/c ... So I do have experience in r/c's, construction, building parts etc... But that ended nearly 15 years ago and from looking at all the varied parts, kits available now things have progressed significantly.

I do appreciate all comments and feedback, I wouldn't find myself put off, only driven further...

I figure I'd start small, not go for the conventional shape sub just yet, but get all parts working stage by stage, and go for something like a lunch box sized, easy to get to n problem solve... Then invest in the more conventional sub.

But thanks, as I said I do appreciate feedback and your comments.

Maybe just as a point for future reference, you could have a page set up with quick links to posts referring to similar questions I raised...or a list with what you'll need, prices etc... do dissuade those thinking I'll be a cheap and easy hobby

Comment

• Peter W
                    Captain
                    • May 2011

Russ

All the people who have commented so far are much further up the ladder in Sub building than me there are people on this forum who when they speak taking notice is a good idea because their advice is golden.

I have been building subs for 14 years now and still consider myself a beginner. I started with a little but not a lot of modelling experience and it is hard Subs are the top of the pile. I was lucky I found a mentor who really knew what he was doing and has been kind enough to help me when I have been out of my depth. There are subs that would be considered entry level and they have been mentioned above some are not. My starter sub was a Sheerline kit and was practically a full kit with some exceptions but was still a very hard journey. I. Wouldn't have even entertained the prospect of my current build, the Scaleships Akula II but with the experience that I now have, I am confident enough to get it done.

This is by my opinion the best site for this hobby that is why I am here, stay here and you will learn....... I am.

Peter
                    Last edited by Peter W; 07-01-2014, 10:17 AM. Reason: I am an idiot

Comment

• crazygary
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2012

Hiya, Russ!!

If you go over to the "Forum" section and scroll down a bit, there's
                      a heading " Silly Questions From Newbies" which may well provide
                      you with some of the basic information you're looking for.

Start small, have fun, ask lots of questions and, welcome aboard!!

CrazyGary

Comment

• matthewnimmo
                        Commander
                        • Dec 2011

Hi all,
                        I'm what you would call an extreme novice to submarines, but I thought I'd challenge myself to make and create something that I've never attempted before...
                        Sounds stupid, but what are the fundamentals I need to get my project off the ground (or into the water)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
                        Cheers Russ.

Russ may i make a quick suggestion. The link below is something i posted up a while ago about how to make a cheap sub from an rc car. You might be able to buy one of thise cheap rc iphone controlled cars and harvest the parts needed to do this. With this type of build you could get your feet wet (no pun intended) without a lot of investment and possible have a solution that is fun while working with your mobile device

now from there you might get hook and want to up your bid on the next project:)
                        ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• Russ Jarvis
                          Ensign
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by matthewnimmo
                          Russ may i make a quick suggestion. The link below is something i posted up a while ago about how to make a cheap sub from an rc car. You might be able to buy one of thise cheap rc iphone controlled cars and harvest the parts needed to do this. With this type of build you could get your feet wet (no pun intended) without a lot of investment and possible have a solution that is fun while working with your mobile device

now from there you might get hook and want to up your bid on the next project:)
                          Legend...I must have watched your YouTube video already 20 times or more... And believe me I've spent hours on YouTube trawling thru "how to's" on boats and sub making, good job I have supportive girlfriend,...

great suggestion on the phone controlled car...

One again thanks for the input

Comment

Working...