Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

How To R/C the Scott Brodeen Disney NAUTILUS

This first video finds a customer -- under my kind and thoughtful direction -- being taught how to drive his RTR Disney NAUTILUS model.

As time permits I'll post a bunch more video that chronicles the kit assembly, propeller gimbal mechanism, and how it all went together.

M
    Who is John Galt?
  • matthewnimmo
    Commander
    • Dec 2011

I would love to see that David. This will be my next build sometime in the future:)
    ... a computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me with kickboxing!!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Dave, is there any way to make the original design planes function to control the submarine?
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
        Dave, is there any way to make the original design planes function to control the submarine?

You can make them work mechanically, of course. However, Mr. Goff, as well as Cheney Bonestell (two very influential production designers specializing in SF related hardware illustration) had the mistaken idea that hydro/aero surfaces surrounded by a strake would effect useful lifting forces.

However, in a very turbulent fluid flow -- which an exceptionally low aspect ratio surface (such as a strake or rocket stabilizing fin) is subject to -- you can't get any useful moments out of a control surface in that environment. Only with the most modest of angular displacements between centerline and fluid flow will surfaces embedded within the strake produce forces that are predictable and of significant magnitude.

Bottom line with a control surface surrounded by a strake: The greater the angle of attack; the sloppier the fluid stream becomes; the less effective becomes the control surface.

Goff's planes won't work in the real world.

However, changing the thrust vector (gimbaled propeller) does.

Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	91375Click image for larger version

Name:	044.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	91376Click image for larger version

Name:	048.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	91377Click image for larger version

Name:	043.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	91378

(Note that Simon Lake's planes, from which Goff got the suggestion, are in the open slip-stream, not hidden within strakes or other fixed structures).

M
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 05-12-2014, 05:32 PM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Oh , its obvious, from watching the video, that your gimble design works well. Nice! I was just wondering, so that, If one of those "Design Purists" shows up and says, HEY.....................................

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Just tell them to get a life.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
              Just tell them to get a life.
              ... right after I tear their living heart out of their chest, and squeez it to mush in front of their ComicCon attending eyes.
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Speaking of which, I saw a movie the other night called, "Grey Lady Down". Charleston Heston and David Carradine(kung fu dude). Anyway, they showed the DSRV rescuing the good guys. I couldn't help but notice that the prop was fixed but the thin nozzle surrounding the prop tips was itself on a gimble and thats how its steered, pitch and yaw. I wouldnt think that such a narrow Cort Nozzle, for lack of the correct term could steer it, but I guess it does.

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Ill review the movie tonight and get the names of the real subs used to make the movie. The underwater scenes must have been filming a model sub that looked like the Skate class, just like in Ice Station Zebra. Charleston Heston certainly wasnt a Moses in this picture. He barely made it out of that sub with his skin. Thanks to the DSRV and the Kung Fu Guy. LOL!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                    Ill review the movie tonight and get the names of the real subs used to make the movie. The underwater scenes must have been filming a model sub that looked like the Skate class, just like in Ice Station Zebra. Charleston Heston certainly wasnt a Moses in this picture. He barely made it out of that sub with his skin. Thanks to the DSRV and the Kung Fu Guy. LOL!
                    What an awful, awful, movie!

Stop hi-jacking my thread!

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...