What Modern (Coldwar and later) Subs are available in 1/72??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HvyCGN9
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jan 2013

What Modern (Coldwar and later) Subs are available in 1/72??

I have been wondering for awhile what Sub hull kits are out there available ?? Apart from Caswell and a couple of others, I only know of handful of other suppliers.... a couple from Ark (Song class,Kilo class....neither of which interest me too small!!),a couple of places doing LA class hulls and Engel does the 1/70 scale U212 which is close enuff...

So the question is what else is out there??? and what have been peoples experinces of quality??

Cheers Bruce
    Last edited by HvyCGN9; 05-06-2014, 09:15 AM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

The gold-standard used to be my stuff and Mat Thor's. Availability of Thor's stuff is very ify now as he's winding down his production work.

It would do you no service for me to list all the good guys who no longer manufacture r/c submarine hulls. However, there is this, http://www.submarineworks.com/index.html -- just about the only other now active GRP kit manufacturer in the States who offers a quality product. There are a few others, but I know next to nothing about them.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

OTW Traflagar
      OTW Valiant
      MMB LA class (bit of an odd scale that one, but relatively close to 1/72)

Suppliers come and go, and sometimes come back again. Others come along with new items and sometimes the tools are sold on.

Personally I prefer the smaller scale of 1/96 for nukes, attack class boats are small and easy to handle and work in shallow waters, bombers remain reasonably manageable, apart from a Typhoon which remains a monster even at that scale.

I thought the loss of SWM was a real shame, saw a couple of those kits built up in the UK and thought they were lovely little models. I think the cheap injection moulded plastic kits affected the market a lot- most modellers will baulk at the prospect of a two or three hundred quid GRP hull, when they can get a styrene kit at a tenth of the cost. They don't wear as well though.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
        OTW Traflagar
        OTW Valiant
        MMB LA class (bit of an odd scale that one, but relatively close to 1/72)

Suppliers come and go, and sometimes come back again. Others come along with new items and sometimes the tools are sold on.

Personally I prefer the smaller scale of 1/96 for nukes, attack class boats are small and easy to handle and work in shallow waters, bombers remain reasonably manageable, apart from a Typhoon which remains a monster even at that scale.

I thought the loss of SWM was a real shame, saw a couple of those kits built up in the UK and thought they were lovely little models. I think the cheap injection moulded plastic kits affected the market a lot- most modellers will baulk at the prospect of a two or three hundred quid GRP hull, when they can get a styrene kit at a tenth of the cost. They don't wear as well though.
        I was totally remise not to mention OTW's stuff, Andy. Thanks for covering. Norbert Brugenn's little DELPHIN (not 'cold-war' but has that look).

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

There is one being retooled by Ron Perrott in England that deserves a mention. He is working with Stephen Pryce on revamping his Resolution class submarine kit.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Resolution class - Ron Perrott and Stephen Pryce 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	91296Click image for larger version

Name:	Resolution class - Ron Perrott and Stephen Pryce 02.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	91297Click image for larger version

Name:	Resolution class - Ron Perrott and Stephen Pryce 03.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	91298
          It looks really nice. I do not know what the price will be.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Just to avoid any confusion it's 1/96th scale, not 1/72nd.

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

Thank you Andy. I was not thinking of scale, but sub alone. Sorry.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...