X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ronin055
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Feb 2014

Typhoon Hull ?

Hey guys, ive got a question for my submarine future.

Do any of you guys know where to get a decent typhoon class submarine hull?

Im looking for something in the 3-4 ft range. I may even go as long as 5 ft because I understand that these are HUGE beasts in real life.

Im in no hurry, but looking around on the ol' internet has produced confusing results.

Thanks as always for your intel and your time.

Cecil
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

I got a finished hull (needs work) here for $500.00. You also kick in the shipping. 1/96 scale. I'll kick in a 3.5", two-motor SD.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ronin055
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Feb 2014

Sounds good to me. Ive got one of those other subs to work on, then I'll be all in. Like I said, Im looking towards the future.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Take it in small bites, Cecil. It'll be here when (and if) you want it.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• crazygary
          Captain
          • Sep 2012

Just how big is this sucker, M??
          With a 3 1/2" SD, she must be a sight to behold!!
          CG

Comment

• Aug 2008

Wow! Flash-Traffic:

I mentioned this pending sale to Ellie and she went ballistic. Sorry, Cecil -- I did not mean at all to string you along. But, Ellie say's no. Sorry. I was an idiot not to check with her first.

M
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• alad61
              Commander
              • Jan 2012

Don't quote me but I think at that scale it's around or just over the four foot mark with about a five inch plus beam. Damn I wish I'd know or thought to ask HWSNBN about this boat. I would have been all over it like sand in the desert!!

Actually I think that would be the 1/150 scale I was thinking of..
              Last edited by alad61; 03-21-2014, 05:05 AM.
              Cheers,
              Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
              But to dream is a reality

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jan 2013

The APS models 1/72 Typhoon is approx. 2.4m long....and very wide! Check out Rob Ritchee's Arkhangelsk http://www.taskforce72.org/forum/vie...php?f=48&t=351 The same length as a Spruance or Ticonderoga class !!

Bruce

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

In Europe there were two main producers of Typhoon hulls/kits.

Norbert Bruggen used to supply hulls only in 1/100 and 1/150 scale, these were later supplied by Kehrer, but sadly no longer available. They were well moulded hulls laid up in epoxy glass composite. A few inaccuracies, but nothing a decent builder couldn't correct if they chose to.

Engel are the other main producer. They have produced two different hulls over the years. The first hull had a more pointed bow, and no anechoic tile detail. I expect there were a few other differences too, but those are the two obvious ones.

The Engel hull is available as a hull only, if you prefer to fit your own dive system, however be warned Engel hulls are expensive.

Comment

• crazygary
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2012

Ahhh, Brother M!
                    You have, apparently, forgotten the old adage which states that,
                    "hell hath no fury like the wrath of ...Khan"?? Wait!! Nope! That's not it!!??

Bummer, Dude!! She sounds like something to behold! Uh, I'm talking about the sub!!
                    Not that "SWMBO" doesn't fall into that category!!! (LOL)

That Typhoon is one, freakin' monstrous boat!! Most impressive, and if she's chasing you, pretty
                    daunting, too!!

Oh, and as a "side note", may I mention: 1-800-flowers-dot-com!! Hah!!

May the force be witcha!!

CG

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Having had a bit of stick time on an Engel Typhoon, have to say you'd really have to like one to want to sail one- bit like coaxing a house brick round a paddling pool!

Comment

• Aug 2008

LOL. Most descriptive, funny analogy I've read of late.

I'll kick my own observation in here while we're tossing rocks at the TYPHOON: Why would you drive a truck when you can drive a Porsche?

Even more pointedly: What the hell's wrong with you, Cecil and Alec????.....

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ronin055
                          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                          • Feb 2014

Dang !! I didnt mean to stir the pot there D! LoL Blow ballast, get on the surface and RUUUUNNNNN !!

And I was just trying to figure out how to get that hull away from you through trade and other nefarious means. (cash)

Also thanks for the heads up on all the other options. That 4ft mark sounds about like where Id like to be. 2 meter sounds a bit long. VERY COOL, but a bit long. My largest vehicle is a minivan. And strapping it to the roof doesnt cool to me. And Engle is VERY proud of their creation. Ive looked over their page. I was resuscitated and then I looked at it again. The next time I woke up, I couldn't remember the date or my name for several minutes. My better half says Im not allowed to look at that page and those prices any more.

Comment

• crazygary
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2012

Would appear that there's a bit of "sticker shock" involved??
                            CG

Comment

• Subculture
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

In that case, the only option other than a scratchbuild is the Kehrer 1/150, which is going to mean keeping a beady eye on the small ads. They do come up for grabs occasionally. Quality wise I think they're a better hull than the Engel, which has a moulded in warp at the bow requiring correction by the builder (they all seem to have the same fault so this clearly a fault generic to the tooling) and is laid up in polyester resin as opposed to Kehrer's epoxy.

Physically they do look considerably more petite than the 1/100 versions, so definitely a lot more manageable. Bob Martin had one for a time, but sold it on a long time ago. He'd be able to give you a first hand appraisal of this boat. He's also built and Engel Typhoon.

Comment

Working...