X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crazygary
    Captain
    • Sep 2012

Thanks, once again, Subculture!!

I believe the larger plastic syringe, with a machined piston arrangement, will be a most acceptable way to go!

As this type of ballast tank will be incorporated into my Kilo, the build of which is "down-the-road-apiece", I'll file all of this great information for future reference!!

Your assistance is most appreciated!

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

Wondering if this went any further?
      Here's a relatively simple (and working) design idea using off the shelf bits.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000616.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	92160

The cylinder is a 20mm syringe. The plunger is the original rubber plunger that came with the syringe (a little tight, but absolutely waterproof). The motor is available from these guys…http://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/...lanetary-range ...and comes compete with a 700:1 planetary reduction gearbox for about 12 quid. Its mated to a Lego Techniks lead screw which came from here… www.ebay.com "Lego Power Functions 4638508 LINEAR ACTUATOR New/Sealed" which has a mechanical clutch at each end. The motor is controlled by an old servo control board and trim pot. In essence, it went together in a few hours and it works.

Now, better get back to the turbo encabulator!Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000620.jpg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	92159

Comment

• HardRock
        Vice Admiral
        • Mar 2013

Simple ballast cylinder

Wondering if this went any further?
        Here's a relatively simple (and working) design idea using off the shelf bits.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000616.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	92160

The cylinder is a 20mm syringe. The plunger is the original rubber plunger that came with the syringe (a little tight, but absolutely waterproof). The motor is available from these guys…http://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/...lanetary-range ...and comes compete with a 700:1 planetary reduction gearbox for about 12 quid. Its mated to a Lego Techniks lead screw which came from here… www.ebay.com "Lego Power Functions 4638508 LINEAR ACTUATOR New/Sealed" which has a mechanical clutch at each end. The motor is controlled by an old servo control board and trim pot. In essence, it went together in a few hours and it works.

Now, better get back to the turbo encabulator!Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000620.jpg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	92159

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Neat! Where are the mechanics that engage the feed-back pot?

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
            Vice Admiral
            • Mar 2013

I didn't connect them in the end because the lead screw has a clutch at each end. The motor drives the plunger to the end of its travel and the clutch slips once it gets there. The same thing happens on the filling cycle. The pot is only used to adjust the neutral position.

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

"Ahhh, I see" says the blind man, that is VERY cool.
              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• crazygary
                Captain
                • Sep 2012

OOOrah!! Very cool indeed, Mate!!

Excellent find and the linear drive is quite nicely priced, as well!

This looks to be the goods for my Kilo build, once I manage to
                break out of "target building mode"!! Hah!

Thanks much for yah post, and the links!

crazygary

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by trout
                  "Ahhh, I see" says the blind man, that is VERY cool.
                  You know. I blame you for getting me started with this tiny Type A thingy. There I was; fat, dumb and happy and then I read your post on the Aluminaut and it all seemed possible. Now that I'm up to my armpits in crocodiles, its becoming difficult to recall that my aim was to drain the swamp! I'm thinking of placing an anonymous ad in the trade press along the lines of, "desperate old fart seeks miniature ESC, 40 Mhz micro receiver and woman with VERY small hands". Its down to you pal! There may be consequences.

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

I'm innocent, I tell ya, innocent.
                    it is appropriate that you bring up the Aluminaut, I recently received the remaining two ESCs to complete that sub! Will post as it happens or somewhere in a reasonable time frame!
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• crazygary
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2012

Good to hear that you're heading back to the aluminaut, Tom!!
                      Got my fingers crossed that this "bout" goes a lot better for ya than
                      the last one did. I recall those tiny ESC's were giving ya the fits!!!
                      Give 'er hell, buddy!

Also, thanks again for posting your great piston tank information,
                      Hardrock!! Sweet unit!!

crazygary

Comment

Working...