X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • modelnut
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jun 2011

Marking ettiquette and cinventions

What are (or were) the the policies for insignia and registry markings etc on US submarines?

The Moebius Skipjack has the SSN numbers for all of the boats in that class and the orange/red emergency buoy hatches fore and aft. But I have seen pictures of boats with none of those showing.

And there are some boats that appear black and some grey.

I know it is imposible to tell in the black and white photos. But they do give some indication of the shade of the hull.

I saw a site the other day that listed the boats in this class and whether they were painted black or grey. But I can't find it today. Do any of you have that site on hand?

- Leelan
    Last edited by modelnut; 11-06-2013, 10:11 AM.
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Leelan, that would be some great information.I dont have anything on it. Dave mentioned awhile back about an Atlantic paint scheme and a Pacific one. Before I get to the point of painting mine I would like to have more info. Anything that you can dig up, please send my way. Im going to go thru all these links youve posted. Thanks
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• modelnut
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jun 2011

Found the site. But the images are blurry. I think they come from the Revell release of the Moebius 72 scale Skipjack. It would be nice if they had them available for download.
      Scale models, model reviews, tamiya, 1/32, 1/48th , aircraft modelling, model building, tank model, car model, figure model, 1/72nd scale, star wars,

Skipjack http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UBDmzXsnMB...ne+%284%29.JPG

Scamp http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8hRDyOsguI...ne+%283%29.JPG

Scorpion http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aFA5WTOc5c...ne+%285%29.JPG

Sculpin http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pbJS2AE2eE...ne+%286%29.JPG

Shark http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-P-YMeCAxt3...ne+%287%29.JPG

Snook http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yX5at7U2vf...ne+%288%29.JPG

I don't see the instructions on the Revell site: http://www.revell.de/index.php?id=20...RTN=05119&sp=1 Oh well.

- Leelan

Comment

• modelnut
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Jun 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	1460022_598606210187753_958247680_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	84335Click image for larger version

Name:	1385504_598606113521096_757491741_n.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	84336Click image for larger version

Name:	1453405_598606306854410_556466929_n.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	84337Click image for larger version

Name:	1456005_598606383521069_779351856_n.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	84338Click image for larger version

Name:	1466045_598606346854406_1355618027_n.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	84339Click image for larger version

Name:	1452211_598606436854397_1322064281_n.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	84340Click image for larger version

Name:	1385928_598634466851594_185105236_n.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	84341

A Blue Matte 60% + Anthracite Grey 40%, B Medium Grey Matte, C Black Matte, D Orange Gloss, E Light Grey, F Dust Grey, G Brass Metallic, H Silver Metallic, I Aluminum Metallic.
        Maybe. J Red Matte 80% + Reddish Brown 20%, K White, L Light Grey Matte, and M Blue Matte 80% + Anthracite Grey 20%.
        Last edited by modelnut; 11-06-2013, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

This is just silly! And yes, there are stupid questions!

Very very dark gray, a lighter shade of gray, brick red, gold, international-orange.

Stop making this so god-damned hard!

Ain't no such thing as black in our miniature world: Scale Effect.

Stop puttering around and build/assemble something!

Don't make me come over there!!!!!!......

M

(Not aimed at Mamas. His credentials in this game are established and undisputed. I rant for the benefit of the great-unwashed looking over our shoulders).
          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 11-06-2013, 04:01 PM.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

This is just silly! And yes, there are stupid questions!

Very very dark gray, a lighter shade of gray, brick red, gold, international-orange.

Stop making this so god-damned hard!

Ain't no such thing as black in our miniature world: Scale Effect.

Stop puttering around and build/assemble something!

Don't make me come over there!!!!!!......

M

(Not aimed at Mamas. His credentials in this game are established and undisputed. I rant for the benefit of the great-unwashed looking over our shoulders).
            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 11-06-2013, 04:00 PM.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• modelnut
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Jun 2011

I am building. I am at the point where I need to paint.

I asked why do we see images of the Skipjack class subs without their registry numbers and emergency buoy makings. The other stuff I tripped over trying to find out. It seems not every boat in this class was painted the same way.

- Leelan

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by modelnut

I asked why do we see images of the Skipjack class subs without their registry numbers and emergency buoy makings. The other stuff I tripped over trying to find out. It seems not every boat in this class was painted the same way.

- Leelan

Fair enough Leelan. Let's get you started then.

American submarines in a patrol ready state do not display the hull numbers on sail or near the bow. They do have the draft numbers.

The 'Atlantic scheme' during the cold war years was basically all black from top down to hull centerline where the color went to a brick-red (anti-foul formula 121) on down.

The 'Pacific scheme' during the cold war years was black on all horizontal surfaces down to centerline, where things went to the anti-foul red. All vertical surfaces above waterline were a dark gray. Where vertical transitioned to horizontal the demarcation between the black and gray was achieved with a spray-gun to make a feathered transition.

The TRUTTA (working out of Key West) was all black. The DANIEL WEBSTER (working out of Guam) had the two-tone scheme. The two submarines I was on and worked as a member of the deck-gang. I slopped a lot of paint in my time.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by modelnut

- Leelan

Fair enough Leelan. Let's get you started then.

American submarines in a patrol ready state do not display the hull numbers on sail or near the bow. They do have the draft numbers.

The 'Atlantic scheme' during the cold war years was basically all black from top down to hull centerline where the color went to a brick-red (anti-foul formula 121) on down.

The 'Pacific scheme' during the cold war years was black on all horizontal surfaces down to centerline, where things went to the anti-foul red. All vertical surfaces above waterline were a dark gray. Where vertical transitioned to horizontal the demarcation between the black and gray was achieved with a spray-gun to make a feathered transition.

The TRUTTA (working out of Key West) was all black. The DANIEL WEBSTER (working out of Guam) had the two-tone scheme. The two submarines I was on and worked as a member of the deck-gang. I slopped a lot of paint in my time.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• modelnut
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Jun 2011

Thanks, David,

Found a wallpaper of the Snook in Rio: http://www.fyjs.cn/bbs/attachments/M...40181dd813.jpg

The image doesn't look exactly like the Revell Instructions.

Name:	1452211_598606436854397_1322064281_n.jpg
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	84363
                    The sail is very very dark. Practically black. And the masts have the spotted camo pattern and not the solid colors that Revell suggests. Where do they come up with these?

Or these?

Name:	ssn585-01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	84364 Click image for larger version

Name:	ssn588-01.jpg
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	84365

Of course today I find a picture of Skipjack sporting her numbers.

Name:	skipjack-l.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	84366

I went to an auto supply shop today and bought SEM Color Coat 15303 Graphite. Does this look light enough? Or dark enough?

Name:	sem15303.jpg
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	84362

I guess I will see when I paint the boat. I have gloss black and satin standing by just in case.

BTW I seem to remember a tip you gave many years ago about giving detail to the sonar windows in 72nd scale. Something about stretching panty hose over the nose of the sub and then spraying the lighter grey or red over a slightly darker shade already applied. Do I remember correctly?

- Leelan
                    Last edited by modelnut; 11-07-2013, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Leelan,

The paint schedule offered by Revell for the Snook looks like paint scheme shown here at the launch of the Scamp

Name:	SkipJack_Class_Scamp01.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	84367
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• modelnut
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Jun 2011

Is this an example of the Pacific scheme?

Name:	1001438_10201018990132802_1809800476_n.jpg
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	84368

Just saw this on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

- Leelan

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

HAHAHA, yes and no. Mostly that is me painting it the way I like.......

The Scamp had a two-tone paint job on the sail (Pacific Scheme I believe), so that much is correct.

Name:	Skipjack_build_153.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	84372
                          But as far as I can tell the bow sonar was not painted the grey that the Skipjack had or as I have done it on my Scamp. I have seen only black err, I mean dark dark grey on the bow. Mine, I will tone down a bit and add some weathering. I just liked that look plus it might be a good visual aid while running it in the wild.
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Slats
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            Indeed - but for a model sub I find that side numbers are a nice addition, particularly for onlookers. The boat looks (to me) better on the display stand with them on too.
                            John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                            Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• modelnut
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Jun 2011

Will make up my mind about the numbers on the sail when I get there.

I planned on getting the first coat of dark grey on there today. But the seam showed up with the final coat of primer. So I put on a thick coat of Mr. Surfacer. I'll leave it to cure overnight and try again tomorrow.

- Leelan

Comment

Working...