X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardRock
    Vice Admiral
    • Mar 2013

%$^^%$#@* Robbe 8370 Decoder

Does anyone have a detailed knowledge of this thing? I'm attempting to breath life into an Engel Akula and so, I'm using an 8370 (12 +2) decoder to run the retractable bow planes and the periscopes. Unfortunately the two servo functions do not appear to be working and the switching function seems to be having a strange effect on Engle's RME module. Bollocks!
  • gantu
    Commander
    • Apr 2009

Regards Gantu

Comment

• HardRock
      Vice Admiral
      • Mar 2013

Thanks. I've read these four or five times; complied with the instruction and still can't get the bloody thing to work. I suspect that the decoder is fried.

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

[QUOTE=HardRock;26385 Bollocks![/QUOTE]

Bollocks?

How dare you sir? Our system can't cope with THAT as a profanity!
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• HardRock
          Vice Admiral
          • Mar 2013

Sorry; I'll do better next time!

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

I think there are issues with using those decoders with engel electronics.

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

Seems so... The thing works, up to a point but the servo throws are drastically reduced which results in the bow planes only extending about half way out (at which time the second servo gives a little kick). I've emailed Gregor and he's come back to me twice for more information but as yet it remains a SAMFU. Actually that should probably be SASFU.

Comment

• KevinMc
                Commander
                • Feb 2009

I can't say that I've got any familiarity with the Engel module, but I have a working 8370.

Have you tried driving a servo (directly) from the servo outputs?

What kind of detailed information is it that you're looking for?
                Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                KMc Designs

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

Yes. I did a basic soldier's check on the whole thing to try to eliminate obvious mistakes and to isolate the problem. The servos work fine when used directly with the receiver; the same servos will not work when plugged into either of the two servo channels on the 8370. That suggests to me that the problem is in the 8370, however, Engle's instructions for using the 8370 in conjunction with their RME module call for the disabling of the memory or latching function in the 8370 by cutting a wire bridge; I've done that and I'm pretty sure that I cut the right bridge but I'm now wondering if that has something to do with the reduced performance.

The detailed information that I am looking for is the personal experience of anyone else using one of these things. Engel used to run the retract system with several micro switches before changing to their newer RME module and I wondered if anyone had experience of the older or the newer system. Right now I have an Akula on the bench and I can't put the mid deck in until I solve the retractable bow planes issue.

Comment

• KevinMc
                    Commander
                    • Feb 2009

There's no reason to expect the Engel module to work with the 8370 if a servo won't work with it. Are you sure you've got the connections in the transmitter made up correctly? (Bad sync connection perhaps?)
                    Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                    KMc Designs

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

Hi Kevin,

I've been over it a number of times and, yes, all the connections look fine. Looks like a fault in the 8370 but might also be a secondary problem with the Engel module.

Comment

• HardRock
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Mar 2013

To be completely fair I should add that Gregor has been working on this and has, after a number of insightful questions, asked me to send the REM module back so that he can have a look at it. Nice to get some direct feedback and concern from the guy that made it even though it means shipping it from Australia to GErmany.

Comment

• HardRock
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Mar 2013

UPDate. The 8370 went back to Robbe and they reported that it was FRIED! Meanwhile the RME module went back to Engle and they reported that it is working as advertised and sent it back to me. Whilst I was waiting for it to come back I purchased a new RME and fitted it to the sub. Result: the new RME works; the old RME does not work and the 8370 is in the bin. Everything now works. Onward!Click image for larger version

Name:	PB200218.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	84550

Comment

Working...