Secret Projects: US Navy Submarine Extendible Turret System (SETS)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • herrmill
    Commander
    • Dec 2008

Secret Projects: US Navy Submarine Extendible Turret System (SETS)

Am sure that some here are familiar with the UK-based Secret Projects website but I just stumbled across the site & see there are a number of interesting submarine threads to be found. Since Mike is a fan of subjects with turrets, I thought this was worth posting.

US Navy Submarine Extendible Turret System (SETS)

Disclosed is an armored, turret like module configured for axial extension from a stowed position within the hull of a submarine. The turret would mount one or more remote controlled guns, as well as communications devices and sensors to support short range engagement with surface or air contacts. A complete, gun based weapon system concept, including command and combat control elements within the submarine control room, is intended. Other useful applications of this extendible turret system are also disclosed. For example, by such means personnel may also be transferred from within the ship to the outside world, via the turret while submerged.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Fig 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	102174

Name:	Fig 2.jpg
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	102175

Name:	Fig 3.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	102178

Name:	Fig 4.jpg
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	102176

Name:	Fig 5.jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	102177

Submarine Extendible Turret System by CR Wallin, DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY WASHINGTON DC (Dec 30, 1996) Disclosed is an armored, turret like module configured for axial extension from a stowed position within the hull of a submarine. The turret would mount one or more remote controlled guns, as...

PatentStorm is a database and reference site containing information about current, pending, and expired U.S. and world patents.
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Very cool site....I could chase that squirrel for hours, so I will book mark it and have fun when I can spare the time! Thank you for sharing this resource! There was a post there saying for pirate activity and how it would look James Bond-ish. I say develop it and fire away!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• herrmill
      Commander
      • Dec 2008

Yea, same here. I've already spent an hour digging through a few threads so its bookmarked as well on my browser.

Perhaps the site admin was away, but it took several days for my membership to be confirmed after having signed up, but the wait was worthwhile, especially with some of the Soviet topics that are way out in left field. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...