X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Greenman407 submarines

I thought that I would reserve this spot and put all my subs info in it. The first one will be the first submarine that I built, The Albacore. Details Later.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Model Description: Subtek Albacore 1/60 scale.........Modified with a X-tail
    Ballast System: D&E 3" WTC modified with a two motor bulkhead
    Motors: Speed 400 7.2 volt
    Receiver:Sombra SL-8
    Pitch Control: Caswell/Mcleod ADF2
    Servos: Hitec Minis
    Battery: 7.2 Volt NIMH 4000 Mah with deans conn.
    : 5 Amp Caswell
    Failsafe: Sombra SL-8 Built in
    Transmitter: Polk Tracker 3
    Extra features: Subtek Electronic mixer, Duo-Prop independent drive via twin motors, Water proof on off switch at battery endcap
    Speed control: Viper Marine 15
    Coming modifications: increasing the size of the motor compartment to 3&1/2" to facilitate installation of 550 high torque motors. Also the use of a three cell LIPO. Addition of a sail with a movable rudder linked to a radio mix to coincide main rudder movements with sail rudder movements to prevent rollover during hard turns
    History: Started out life in 2007 as a Subtek Kit. Using their T-Valve pump system, I was dis-satisfied with performance and reliability. Upgraded to the D&E Cylinder, it became more reliable. Got rid of the Hitec 6 radio system that proved completely unsatisfactory and went to Futaba 9 channel which also proved unreliable but was a better system,problems possibly due to some incompatibilities with extra components ie: Speed control, mixer, failsafe, BEC, or pitch control. Changed to Polk Tracker and it entered into a new phase of reliability. Replaced the Polk receiver with the Sombra SL-8 after the latter proved more capable. Spent much time fine tuning ballast tank control procedure for improved static diving and surfacing. Then converted Albacore to a Phase 4 configuration , including Dual counter rotating propellers and Modified sail shape. I hope to acquire a sail from Dave Merriman that has an operating sail rudder on it. Here is the link to the Builders Thread on it:http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...core-continued As of this time the Albacore has been updated with dual 550 motors in a 3&1/2" motor compartment while retaining the 3" Ballast and battery compartment. The APC4 has been moved into the battery compartment along with a 3s Lipo. The sail with integral rudder has also been installed. Testing to come.
    Here is a link to a video I shot of her a number of years ago of the results of my efforts to get her gas ballast system to perform in more of a scale like manor.http://vimeo.com/10523913 Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 213.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	75010
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 231.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	75011

Name:	albacore on step 2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	75217
    Last edited by greenman407; 11-29-2015, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Model Description: Rick Teskey 52" Seaview(8 Window)
      Ballast System: D&E 3"WTC Mod. 2 has been modified with the motor compartment being increased to 3&1/2" in order to allow for larger motors to be installed. A home made motor shaft grease seal system keeps water from entering WTC thru motor shafts.
      Motors:(2) Original Speed 400 motors have been removed in favor of "Team Brood" 540 hand wound motors of the 27 turn variety. These motors were chosen for there much higher power output vs. the standard 540 or 550 motors. Also they are built to operate on 12 volts and can withstand high heat.
      Reciever: Sombra SL-8
      Pitch Control: UPC installed within a forward mounted battery WTC
      Servos: Hobbico CS35MG Minis
      Battery: Onyx LIPO 3s 6400 Mah 25C 71 Wh Housed in a Caswell Battery WTC
      BEC: Caswell 5 amp.
      Failsafe: Sombra Labs SL-8 Built in, configured with Shadow Controller

: 4 blade Empellors with 1/8" diameter thrust bearings, Battery WTC, Modified control surface configuration to include stern planes
      History: purchased her in 2008 and experimented with different componants until arrived at the present reliable configuration. Changed motors several times until discovering the 12 volt version of the Speed 400 and then finally the 540 motor configuration in a modified 3"/3&1/2"WTC. Thereafter trimming the 4 blade empellors down to two blade ones increased thrust and run time as well as motor life. However, since the addition of the new motors I have reverted to the 4 bladed empellors due to the power available. Thrust has been increased by a factor of 8. Made a aluminum motor mount and copper motor cooling sleeves, but this has been deleted. Polk Tracker radio increased reliability and decreased stress on operator. Much attention has been paid to eliminating APC jitters of the stern planes and propullsion planes. By installing the APC in the bow mounted battery WTC and taking extra steps to insulate from vibration and other factors, all jittering has been removed. Room for future expansion, including operating Sail Planes. Here is the link to the continuously updated Builders Thread on it. http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthread.php?763-Seaview

Name:	Seaview at Devils den broad zoom.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	75213Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview even closer.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	75214Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview low.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	75215Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaview rear quarter.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	75216
      Last edited by greenman407; 12-26-2014, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• MFR1964
        Detail Nut of the First Order
        • Sep 2010

Excellent Mark, i love the counter rotating props, me love special mechanics

Manfred.
        I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

I just updated the info on the Albacore and the Seaview. I need to add the Oscar, type 23 and the Skipjack. Soon.

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Scaleships oscar in 1/96

I think it was 2010 that I ordered an Oscar from Scaleships in the Ukraine. Here she is. Details to follow. Here is a link to the Builders Thread on it.

Name:	Fuji transfer 652.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	93347Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 372.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	93348Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 633.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	93349

Model Description: Russian Oscar Class guided missile nuclear submarine in 1/96 scale. Model manufactured by Scaleships in Ukraine
            Ballast system: Caswell/Merriman Subdriver, 3&1/2' DIAMETER, TWO MOTOR OUTPUT
            Motors: Two Caswell 550 12 volt motors
            Receiver: Sombra 8 channel
            Pitch control: UPC mounted inside battery WTC(shared with Seaview)
            Servos: Futaba S3001 standard servos
            Battery: 3 cell Lipo Onyx 6400 Mah 25c
            Failsafe: built in failsafe in Sombra
            Transmitter: Polk Tracker. I use this same radio for all my subs and a few other vehicles
            Extra features: This model is equipped with the Caswell SNORT system. It also has powered bow planes.Counter-rotating Brass props, Equipped with a right and a left Raebesh 7 bladed propellers, 55mm diameter.These propellers provide substantially more thrust than the props that were included in the kit but not as scale looking. The kit supplied props were lost during its shakedown cruise.
            Coming Modifications: A 4 point thruster maneuvering system using 4 brushless pumps with individual speed controls to reduce turning circle and to maneuver without using main drive. Will add a Caswell 5 amp BEC
            History: Purchased in 2010. Took me two years to build due to factors beyond my control. It was my first underwater camera platform.
            Last edited by greenman407; 02-09-2015, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

What a beauty, Mark.

(Tribute received and appreciated ... I'm enjoying one as I type this).

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Revell 1/72 skipjack

Purchased from Caswell in 2013 and completed in that same year. Dynamite performer. Was test run and dialled in without paint. Paint job is 90% done as of Feb. 2015. More details to follow. Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 987.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	93350

Name:	Fuji transfer 695.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	93351

Name:	Fuji transfer 448.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	93352

Name:	Fuji transfer 443.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	93353

Name:	Fuji transfer 427.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	93354

Name:	Fuji transfer 421.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	93355

Name:	002_zpsmcgbvcwx.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	111775 Click image for larger version

Name:	012_zpsiicv4qez.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	111776 Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuji transfer 415.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	93356
                Last edited by greenman407; 12-20-2015, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Working...