• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alad61
    Commander
    • Jan 2012

Fittings kit for the Skipjack...

Hi David & Mike.

All though David has done what looks like stellar work with the Skipjacks fitting kit I personally have decided not to add the kit to my order. Not because of dollars per-say but economics. I myself will never be one to run a working torpedo system in my boats. Are there others out there like? Maybe not, which would probably render my next question mute. Is it possible to do a fittings kit/s without the additional torpedo fittings. Mike, as a retail manager I understand the addition work by adding an extra item to the inventory process. As for my own inventory investment why pay for extras not needed that in effect reduces the monies I can spend on things that I can turn over & use.
    Cheers,
    Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
    But to dream is a reality

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Alec,

The only item weapon system specific to the fittings kit is the two-piece torpedo tube foundation, part-H in the last photo. The rest of the structure is vital to hull integrity and must be installed. For production economy sake the tool that produces those parts also produces other parts to the fittings kit. I'm obligated to produce those parts regardless of their eventual use or not.

You buy a car with a spare tire. You may never use it, but it's part of the sticker price, like it or not.

David

Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	74731Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	74732Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	74733Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	74734
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tugfan
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Nov 2010

Might I suggest that the torpedo setup be an option? I will never install mine.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Suggest away. On this matter: if you don't want it. Toss it. You think you're paying too much for stuff you won't use, buying my product? I recomment you check out Big Dave's fitting kit ... or work out the mechanics yourself.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• alad61
          Commander
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          Alec,

The only item weapon system specific to the fittings kit is the two-piece torpedo tube foundation, part-H in the last photo. The rest of the structure is vital to hull integrity and must be installed. For production economy sake the tool that produces those parts also produces other parts to the fittings kit. I'm obligated to produce those parts regardless of their eventual use or not.

You buy a car with a spare tire. You may never use it, but it's part of the sticker price, like it or not

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17194[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17195[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17196[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17197[/ATTACH]
          Fair enough David you answered and I have accepted the outcome to my question. I was thinking production of the kit would play a significant part. I now live with my decision & choice. :)
          Cheers,
          Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
          But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Tugfan
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Nov 2010

Why are you so defensive lately? If I thought I had paid too much I would say so. I'm not shy as you well know. Now cut the crap.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Defensive. A fair shot into my wheel-house. And I would agree. I'm very defensive here. You're talking about one of my Babies here.

Mike Caswell and I have to make financially important decisions months ahead of the time our investments will (and sometimes will not) generate income. Income first used to offset the money spent (capital investment) and later, income to take us past the break-even point into profit.

No new thing pops out of the either. Creation of worth while product requires planning and work. Mike and I consult with each other before launching into development of a new product. Development, for me, the 'hands' of the operation, is a no-income period of time -- sequestered within the shop doing the research, working up the drawings, master-making, tool-making, part fabrication, preliminary documentation, and packaging; a period of weeks or months that I don't get paid. During that period I often get behind on my orders from Caswell (I work for no one else). Some of you see those 'blips' of product availability when you have to wait for your order to be filled -- I can assure you, I either have the flu or am busy developing new product.

Everything I do wrong in the product development process (and I can assure you, I don't get it right all the time!) has long-term negative consequences on the eventual manufacturing cycle. Improper product design, inefficient production practices, wrong materials choice, and sickness or other personal situations that take me out of the shop (this is a one-horse operation over here in Virginia Beach), all act to reduce my profit margin once the product is sold to Caswell Inc. All good things involve risk. Ellie and me have been hanging our asses over the line in this game for over thirty-years. with little money income to show for it. We operate at a very, very tight margin.

Back to the Moebius 1/72 SKIPJACK kit fittings kit:

The purpose of a fittings kit is to adapt another manufacturers product, a plastic model kit -- which is intended for indoor static display only -- into a working r/c submarine. Alec has argued, rationally and correctly, that most people won't need one part of the SKIPJACK fittings kit I produce: the torpedo tube foundation. No argument there. He's right. Most won't need those hunks of resin.

However, you all need to appreciate my consternation here: ONE SMALL PART OF THE WHOLE is a deal breaker?! Are you customers out there working THAT close to the line?!......

The smart money says I should not respond defensively; to let it roll without comment. However, I take my work personally, this is not a job as much as it is a passion. A character disorder, it's been described as. That's not an excuse, it's a brag! And likely why I speak with the safety-valve banded shut most of the time. I always speak from the heart -- occasionally I even engage my head. I would like to think I'm being candid; honest; open in my expression to you all, no matter the subject. Please, don't get me wrong -- keep on with the critiques and suggestions, it's how I learn. But, also, don't loose any sleep over how I respond (or don't respond) to a post.

I've invested a great deal of money (materials and time) getting both the Moebius 1/72 SKIPJACK Sub-driver and fittings kit into production. I expect a reward. And when faced with nit-picking complaints focused around one un-needed part. IT ****ES ME OFF! I don't understand that kind of thinking.

Now, Mike and I run this board not only as a sales tool, but as a means of gathering customer feed-back on product. We make fixes when an issue raised indicates a fault in either product or documentation. Tugfan's recent comments have helped us with the Manual, for example. Our social intercourse here, and other forums, is vital reading, informing us as we improve our current product, and formulate plans future products.

But, cherry-picking what you want and don't want of a fittings kit and suggesting a 'no-sale' if I don't hand-pick the product for you -- I have neither the inclination to do that or put up with the implied threat. And it's a threat, no matter how well cloaked in verbiage it is.

There! Back to the Cave.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tugfan
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Nov 2010

Yada, yada, yada. I said if I had a problem I would tell you. Now get back to work and stop yer soapbox filibustering.

Comment

• MFR1964
                  Detail Nut of the First Order
                  • Sep 2010

hear, hear David,

I can only support you from a distance, but i know exactly what you encounter during the process, since i build most of my parts by my own i slam into the same wall, i have the advantage that, beside the hobby, i have a job that will pay the bills, you on the other hand have to build for earning a income.

Manfred.
                  Last edited by MFR1964; 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM.
                  I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Tugfan
                    Yada, yada, yada. I said if I had a problem I would tell you. Now get back to work and stop yer soapbox filibustering.
                    LOL. Fair enough then.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
                      hear, hear David,

I can only support you from a distance, but i know exactly what you encouter during the process, since i build most of my parts by my own i slam into the same wall, i have the advantage that, beside the hobby, i have a job that will pay the bills, you on the other hand have to build for earning a income.

Manfred.

Thanks, Manfred. There are no bad-guys here, just different takes on the same thing. Those who consume, and those who produce.

.... I started this second paragraph with, "I long for the days when I can retire and build what I want".

Wrong!

Looking at those words I realize that's not at all what I want, long term. No. What I want is what I got, now: a paying job; doing the thing I love most in this world; my health; and working for a Boss who, even though he's one bottle shorter of a six-pack than even me in the tact department, is a real honest-to-goodness salesman, has a hell of a good business sense, and can manage ME (almost)!

Manfred: from one model-maker to another. Thanks. Keep banging on those Type-17 tail-feathers!

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Tugfan
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Nov 2010

I think Manfred and Dave made a deal with the devil. How else would 2 guys be so talented? I've been following Manfred's Type XVII. Makes me sick. ;) By the way, Manfred, I just like busting Dave's balls. No harm no foul.
                        Last edited by Tugfan; 11-30-2012, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

David, i wish i could make my hobby my job,i have one nasty drawback, don't like to build for other people, want to keep everything mine, MINE!!!!
                          Tugfan, i wished it was the devil, but it's even worse, it will hunt you down, even in your afterlive.

Manfred.

About the type VXII, i dived into it's gutts, leaving the tail alone, i desperately need some links to the rudder, after this weekend i'll show some results, you guys keep bragging and teasing each other, there is enough misery in the world.
                          Last edited by MFR1964; 11-30-2012, 02:19 PM.
                          I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Don't worry, Manfred. We'll continue hostilities on this end for your entertainment.

Tugfan: Don't make me come over there!.....
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

Harr, harr
                              I went underground

Comment

Working...