Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Plating Propellers

I see a thread on The Subcommittee forum and for a moment I thought we had an olive branch offered, but then Thor and La Rue decide to chip in on a subject they obviously know nothing about. Neither of them have ever used the plating system, so I'm really puzzled as to why they would post any comment on the concept, other than to dig at me. Ah well! He's on his favorite

The layer of nickel is like an egg-shell on a hard boiled egg. It's very hard, and very thin, so it stops the blades bending, a common fault of white metal props. As for the cost, they haven't thought this through. A D&E prop is included in the D&E Fittings kit and the cost is therefore minimal. The actual cost of the kit would be slightly higher than buying brass props, but you'd be able to plate all sorts of things, especially push-rods, which are prone to corrode. It will also stop push-rods from bending, actually stiffening them up.

As for the appearance, the plated bronze surface looks real and I defy any paint job to match it. It will eventually take on a patina, something paint can't do. Even brass props could be easily bronze plated.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

i saw that, quite amusing. No idea of metallurgy. I take it they are going to remove the chrome plate from their taps etc, an paint them, cos a thin layer of plating does nothing right
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Mike, as you know I nickel plated my white metal props on the Albacore. Did you say that a version of your plating kit also applys Bronze to the props. If thats true then thats what I should have done instead of nickel. I think.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

Working...