trying to decide on my next submarine...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alad61
    Commander
    • Jan 2012

trying to decide on my next submarine...

I've got a couple of months of budget rebuilding to do before my next submarine and I'm now caught between three differant boats. Each of which has a diferent reason for adding it to my little fleet.
    1: The Dumas Akula mostly because I like the look of it, it's a dynamic and the building if it's own wtc set up is a new learning curve.
    2: The 31 inch Brodeen Disney Nautilus. Well I have liked this sub since I first saw it at the movies over 42 years ago. Plus, IMHO, I did such a great job on the static one recently that I want to replicate that in an rc model and designing the gimble prop would be a challange.
    3: The Moebius Skipjack as I have some thoughts on converting it to a concept Seaview as is seen on one of the covers for Theodore Sturgens novelization. Plus it looks good.
    Cheers,
    Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
    But to dream is a reality

• Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by alad61
    I've got a couple of months of budget rebuilding to do before my next submarine and I'm now caught between three differant boats. Each of which has a diferent reason for adding it to my little fleet.
    1: The Dumas Akula mostly because I like the look of it, it's a dynamic and the building if it's own wtc set up is a new learning curve.
    2: The 31 inch Brodeen Disney Nautilus. Well I have liked this sub since I first saw it at the movies over 42 years ago. Plus, IMHO, I did such a great job on the static one recently that I want to replicate that in an rc model and designing the gimble prop would be a challange.
    3: The Moebius Skipjack as I have some thoughts on converting it to a concept Seaview as is seen on one of the covers for Theodore Sturgens novelization. Plus it looks good.
    Choice of those 3 the standout IMHO is the Skipjack "as is" (don't convert it) in terms of cost, scale fidelity, construction ease, and the fact there is a SD that will fit it like a glove.

Go for it.

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• alad61
      Commander
      • Jan 2012

Cheers John. The convetion for the skipjack would be mostly cosmetic add ons & paint job. The Nautilus from Bob has an SD that is made to suit as well.
      Cheers,
      Alec.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Brodeen's NAUTILUS!

Give some consideration to the 1/144 Trumpeter KILO too. Good, reliable, maneuverable pool-toy.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

And dont forget about the Rick Teskey 52" Seaview. Truly, whatever you pick, im sure that it will turn out well.
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Aug 2008

As Mark will tell you, that SEAVIEW he recommended can be a handful, but a fun build as well.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• alad61
              Commander
              • Jan 2012

Thanks for the input gentlemen. As it stands now it looks like the Nautilus is the keen favorite... that said I know converting it to rc will be a challenge. I'm thinking that with only minor mods I can get all four planes to work but my thoughts are at present only in my head and once I get them right in my mindseye then I'll start sketching and making notes. However one question I have is this... How does one afix the clear parts to the model and be waterproof? The obvious answer is silcone but which type? But obvious isn't always right...
              Cheers,
              Alec.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Sounds like your talking SEAVIEW, not NAUTILUS. The trick is: don't make the observation compartment water-tight; it's flee-flooding like the rest of the hull. Only Dennis DeBoer has made his bow water-tight.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• alad61
                  Commander
                  • Jan 2012

I was refrering to the wheelhouse windows & salon windows on the Nautilus.
                  Cheers,
                  Alec.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Oh! ... the Disney NAUTILUS. I'm sorry. You're talking the Scott Brodeen kit -- wonderful selection, the guy is a true master in the game. I'm assembling one now.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• alad61
                      Commander
                      • Jan 2012

Yeah it is one of the best resin kits I have done in a static kit. A very good woorkable resin, sands, cuts and handles like a dream and it wasn't drowned in mould release either. I've got the gazette from Febuary as well as the cabal report on the "TI" version you did. I would like to ask if you have some more close up pictures of your cleavus/gimble system. I'm not what you would call an engineer so any help in putting the running gear together would be a help. I know that at least with this one I won't be scratch building a fully decked out salon... LOL
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

But patroling the murky waters of the local ponds with lights glowing in the late afternoons waining light would look nerdishly cool... ;)
                      Cheers,
                      Alec.

Comment

Working...