X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

The call goes out to all scale shipyard gatos

Al NUCI has completed his Scale Shipyard Gato and is looking for anyone else who either has one completed or plans to. Please make yourselves known. Or , perhaps you know of someone........who knows of someone...........who ..............
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • Tom Spettel
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Dec 2009

yha i have one in 1/48 scale. its about ten years old maybe more. the glass lay up was ok but when they put the two halves together OMG!!! i had to cut into the stern and bow to reglass it. what they did was bunched up some 2" wide cloth and packed it in the bow and stern. it would have been a nightmair to trim if i left it in. i cut all the limber holes out and was going to put bulkheads in and stoped because i couldnot find a deck for it and doing one in plastic? no way to brittle, was hoping for a photo etch but nobody has one and i dont know auto-cad so it sits on the shelf collecting dust.
    Tom

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Cool! Al Nuci, im sure will be in touch with you and can help you with that.

Comment

• Tom Spettel
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Dec 2009

what scale is his boat. did he do a photo etch deck?

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Heres his thread on it:http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...lass-Submarine

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Tom,
            After I pay off the lathe, you want to sell yours
            Peace,
            Tom
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Tom Spettel
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Dec 2009

I will probly keep it....hey do you know how to do a lay up for photo etch??

Comment

• Anuci
                Banned
                • Aug 2008

Trout, If interested, see below info. of a SSY Gato hull in 1/48 scale that was for sale a while back. It was posted to the SC sub swap forum.
                Btw, How are things progressing with your Revell Gato. Is it all squared away now?

Al,

by Layco47 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Scale Shipyard 1/48 USS Gato hull kit. I purchased this hull from Matt Thor in the late 80's & haven't found the time to put any real effort into it. Hull is still in basic form & only has minor work done to it.

Includes plan sheet (SS-222), Balao style conning tower, 2 deck guns & control surfaces. Hull is still in excellent shape.

Would seriously consider a trade for both Small World Models Revell Gato (2.5") & Type VII (2") WTC's or endcaps (single & dual servo forward, dual servo/twin shaft drive ends).

$250+shipping, OBO

RyanLayco47
                SubCommittee Member

E-mail Layco47
                Last edited by Anuci; 05-26-2012, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Al,
                  Thanks for the tip- I need to pay off a lathe before I jump in a different project. Do you ever work out all the issues with these subs? I redid the ADF2 and will see if fresh water will make a difference (I will film it, but if she goes down and not come up - I won't be posting). Doing some battery charging and pre-mission checks tonight. Began on some of the finishing stuff like prop guards (which I know during war they were taken off, but I want it for safety) and the deck gun. I am soldering SMD LEDs on some wires (WHAT A PAIN) to install for running lights.
                  I will get things caught up soon.
                  Peace,
                  tom

Tom, pm sent.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Anuci
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2008

Tom,

Be carefull, as someone once said " Model boats can consume you " LOL Most subs run better in fresh water. Chlorinated pools, Brackish water, or in my case a Sulpher Spring fed pond can cause havoc as well. You will find maintaining a proper trim level when sailing in various types of water can also present a bit of a challenge. They are what they are. There's no one inside controlling the forward/aft trim tanks, or anything else for that matter. :biggrin:

Have a nice Holiday, and keep the faith!

Al,
                    Last edited by Anuci; 05-27-2012, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

"Have a nice Holiday, and keep the faith!"
                      You got it Al! Thank you!

Comment

Working...