• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nige1912
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Apr 2012

Saying Hi

Hi everyone,

New to the forum so just wanted to say hi to everyone.

I have just bitten the bullet after months of slyly keeping one eye on the Revell Gato and bought it (Just waiting for parcel force to deliver). Im aiming to make it into a fully working model so have been reading with very much interest the posts here.

I have already decided to purchase one of the DE systems - I want to do this right and have many years of use out of this boat, so I figure the DE system is the way to go.

I might have to make a few mods along the way as some of the equipment widely available in the US is not standard here in jolly old England! Things such as radio gear etc but other than that I will be buying exclusively from Caswell etc.

I have always thought that the Gato/Balao class were some of the most visually appealing warships ever devised - forget the point for a sec that they were designed as ruthless killing machines, they look damn good too.

Will keep everyone updated and no doubt I will be posting lots and lots of questions too!!

Cheers everyone,
    Nige
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Welcome aboard, and pay attention to the Model Boat Mayhem site. There is a thread there dealing with a build-up of a 1/72 K-Class boat. The guy is using pretty much the same SubDriver you will and is going through a hair-pulling exercise, finding a receiver that will work on the legal bands over there that will also fit the tight confines of his SD. Learn from his experience.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Anuci
      Banned
      • Aug 2008

Greetings Nige,

Welcome, Had a question for you, are you the same chap who started a build of the Alexander Engel Gato, and posting the start of that build to the Subpirates forum. If so, did you ever complete that model ?, or no.

In any regard, good luck with the Revell Gato kit.

Al,

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Welcome Nige,
        Glad to see you on this side of the pond! Today I am going to do my sea trials for a Revell Gato!!! So, if you have any questions, we are glad to help!
        Personally I look forward to seeing your build and any modifications you do.
        Peace,
        Tom
        AKA Trout here and Salmon on AMS
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

YES! Welcome aboard Mate!
          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

I recommend the Corona synthesized 8-channel receiver. They're not bad little devices, and very inexpensive, occasionally the odd dud seems to creep through their so-so quality control system, so I'd recommend checking it out very thoroughly. You can purchase them via Hobbyking or Giantcod if you prefer a UK retailer.

A Schulze Delta receiver would be bullet proof, not synthesized like the Corona, but has the advantage of featuring a glitch counter, so you can see how many times the signal flaked out when you get the boat back after patrol. Unfortunately, I think the 8-channel version is a bit too long to fit inside the subdriver, and I think you need 6-channels for full house control on the Gato, don't you?

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

Just refresh my memory on the correct channels for the UK please.

I though it was 40 mhz and I do have some 6 ch radios on that frequency. Whether or not I can get 8ch radios remains to be seen. I will ask the question
              Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

40mhz and 27mhz are the legal ground frequencies, although not many people using 27mhz these days, as good quality 27mhz sets aren't in production and haven't been for a long time. Also a lot of them were AM based as opposed to superior FM, Futaba and Fleet are two companies that spring to mind who used to do 27mhz FM sets, and they were very well regarded in the submarine community.

Paradoxically, back in the late 80's when 40mhz first became available (and was horrendously expensive too) 27mhz pennants were always at a premium. Nowadays if you show up with 27mhz at a submarine meeting, you can usually go straight on, and everyone else is scrabbling around for available frequencies on 40mhz!

In the case of Bob's K-class, he was advised against fitting the Wfly receiver he purchased with the set from you, owing to the interference rejection not being powerful enough in the tight confines of the 2.5" SD, and thr Sombra RX isn't available in 40mhz. There are not many receivers which can squeeze into the footprint required, but the Corona RPD8 is very small, dual conversion with digital conditioning of the signal.
                Last edited by Subculture; 04-10-2012, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Thanks for doing the homework for our British friends on what is a suitable receiver for the 2.5 SD, Andy. Corona RPD8 it is, then.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

The tests I've carried out on mine to date include, testing it in a sub down to 2.5 metres in a swimming pool (low chlorine). No problems.

I have also tested the receiver with it sitting on top of a rather electrically dirty motor with minimal suppression- no glitching or loss of signal- rock solid.

I also use 2.4ghz Corona gear equipment in a couple of aeroplanes and have been delighted with its performance to date.

Ramesh tried one out I believe and said the range wasn't as good as his Multiplex or JR/Graupner receivers, but still respectable, and these receivers are less than a third of the price of those makes (about a tenner).

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                      The tests I've carried out on mine to date include, testing it in a sub down to 2.5 metres in a swimming pool (low chlorine). No problems.

I have also tested the receiver with it sitting on top of a rather electrically dirty motor with minimal suppression- no glitching or loss of signal- rock solid.

I also use 2.4ghz Corona gear equipment in a couple of aeroplanes and have been delighted with its performance to date.

Ramesh tried one out I believe and said the range wasn't as good as his Multiplex or JR/Graupner receivers, but still respectable, and these receivers are less than a third of the price of those makes (about a tenner).
                      Good stuff, Andy.
                      Hey, Mike: should we consider carrying these things for our pal's across the pond?

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Nige1912
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Apr 2012

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info so far everyone.

I have been out of the modelling loop for many years and am finding the somewhat bewildering array of rc outfits totally mind blowing. The technology has moved on so much since my days when we had about 20 frequencies (Including splits!!) that I am now totally baffled.

Here in the uk I have this week noticed ads for 2.4 gig sets, but dont know how big or small the recievers are on these or if they have been used in subs and are ok - ie will penetrate the signals through the water.
                        Looks like I have a steep learning curve in front of me!!

But I do love a challenge!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Subculture
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

No, no, no. 2.4ghz will not work at all. Great for all other models except submarines, which is unfortunate, as it's a fantastic system.

There is only one frequency option for you unless you want to buy a secondhand antique radio, and that is 40mhz. Unfortunately many model shops are no longer stocking 40mhz sets, as there is a fairly low demand, after all why would you want one unless you're a submariner?

I personally use a Robbe Futaba FC16, which is still available and a nice set. I really like Multiplex sets, and if I was to purchase a new set I'd probably buy one of those. Their Royal Evo set is the daddy, but quite expensive. The Cockpit SX is a really nice petite little set, although less channels and options than the Royal Evo, it's a good deal less expensive. The ergonomics of the Cockpit SX are the best of any transmitter I have encountered.

This site supplies Wfly sets, I have no experience of those. Heard good things about the transmitters, and the eight channel set has a modular tuner, which means you can swap it over to 2.4ghz if you fancy doing a bit of flying.

All the sets I've mentioned are computerised. If that sounds horrifying to you, then you can always get something straightforward like a Futaba Skysport or Hitec Laser set, although these days you're likely to be looking on the secondhand market for those.

Comment

• Nige1912
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Apr 2012

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all the advice and pointers. Now that the Titanic centenary commemorations are out of the way I have room to breathe a bit and have started the build (Pics coming soon). So far I have just done the basics and joined the two hull halves together and assembled the stand (Will make a more robust one for the water trials). I'll be starting the chopping out etc next following the Cabal reports to the letter!!
                            Have recieved the running set from Caswell with the props etc etc and fantastic they are too, looking forward to fitting those. Regarding RC, I went for the Futaba FC16 in the end on the UK 40meg frequency. Does anyone know if the standard Futaba reciever that comes with this set will fit the Caswell Gato WTC?
                            Also can anyone reccomend a suitable main drive battery and speed controller?

Sorry for asking these questions and im sure it's all probably covered somewhere else, but I havent unearthed it yet. Running a museum doesnt leave a great amount of time !!!!
                            Thanks fellas

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Don't apologize for asking questions (you might get yelled at, but the information will come). The receiver might not fit in a "standard" configuration. The one I use is the Sombra Labs SL-8 - it is nice and small. There may be others small enough, but I have not worked with them. Just because your receiver is larger your not out of the water (yet), it just means you may have additional challenges while stuffing the WTC. Speed controller the one I used in mine is the Mtroniks Sub10. Very good response. Battery? It would be a terrible thing (and Mike Caswell would slap me) if I did not first point you to him, but there are other choices - LiPo, Life, NiMh to name a few. The Gato uses Motors that will run on the LiPo 11.1v battery, the choice is yours on the capacity.
                              If I may, I recommend David's DVD set for the build. There is a ton of information there that may not be in the cabal reports. Since this was my first sub it helped me a lot.
                              If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

Working...