• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vital.spark
    Commander
    • May 2010

Gas Saver

David,

A bottle of Propellant here in New Zealand costs about US$ 25.00!!! I have gone through almost one bottle just trimming the Seawold and Type VIIC. I'm finishing off the Gato now and would like to install the Gas Saver. Can you supply or send me a drawing so that I can make one up myself for the Gato. Is there enough room in the 2" subdriver to install in my Seawolf and Type VIIC?

Regards,

Myron
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

See this thread

Youtube has a number of videos on sub-drivers the Seawolf one is here and should supply some answers.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• vital.spark
      Commander
      • May 2010

Hello Mike,

Your link took me to the air duster thread?

All of the duster cans sold here don't have threaded tops that adapters can be screwed into. The car A/C cans are no longer availabe on the market and the A/C shops only have large bottles, the size welders use. I even tried to locate an adapter that would take the schrader valve at one end and the commercial quick disconect at the other but to no avail! believe me I wouldn't have made this post unless there was a good reason!

Regards,

Myron

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Myron

Scroll down to the bottom, there is my post regarding propane gas cylinders, not dusters. Surely, you have these available for blow torches etc?

GAS! WE CAN’T GET ENOUGH!

There are hundreds of model submarines that depend entirely of Propel gas to blow their ballast tanks. Carrying an on-board supply of gas allows the ballast tank to be blown several times before returning to refill the tanks.

Since the advent of the snort system, total dependence on gas has been greatly reduced. However, Propel is expensive and ‘the hobby’ has been looking for cheaper sources for some time.

The small BBQ and blow torch tanks (see below)

are that alternative source, but finding the right connector between tank and Sub-driver on-board tank has placed this inexpensive source of gas out of sub-drivers reach.

After over a year’s research, Mike Caswell finally hunted down the connectors.

On the left of the photo above, we have the connector that fits onto the larger BBQ propane tanks. It allows you to fill these small blowtorch/portable BBQ tanks from a bulk source.

Available from Mr. Heater Inc www.mrheater.com
        Product code F276172

On the right, -

The Marshall DisposableCylinder Adapter
        This adapter has the standard UNEF 1”-20 thread to fit the bottle, and a 1/4” NPT thread to fit a standard Female Tire Chuck.

www.marshallgas.com product code G-488P

This is a standard 1/4” NPT Female Tire Chuck. Available at most good hardware stores.

Just a reminder for those who worry. Propel is a mix of propane and butane, camping gas is propane, so similar precautions must be observed for this alternative source.
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

Working...