X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spankey
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Aug 2010

50 MHz HAM Band Radio

I wondered if there was anyone else on this forum who used the 50 MHz HAM band for their submarines? I've been using an old Futaba Attack 4, but honestly, 4 channels is not quite enough for some of the stuff I've been working on, so I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions? I think Futaba still makes something, but its a modular type design. Anyone know anything else or have gouge on what other manufacturers are any good or even have the 50 MHz option?

Daniel-
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

I also use the 50 MHz band - K8XW is my call. I purchased a Futaba 9C just as they were phasing out all of the 50 MHZ and most of the 72-75 MHz radios. I got lucky. I have been looking for any 50 MHz transmitters for over 2 years now with absolutely no luck. I use the Sombra SL-8 HAM receiver which is really nice. I called up Futaba about 4 months ago and asked if I could still get my 50 MHz 9c fixed if it went belly up and was told," Yes, for now, if we have the parts". Not terribly encouraging.

If you do find 50 MHz gear anywhere please let us all know as I'm not the only Hamster out here with our d***s in the wind.

Dan
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• spankey
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Aug 2010

Dan, See PM.
      I'm glad to know that there are other HAM's here. I thought I might have been the only one...
      I will keep you posted if I find any gear anyplace. I am glad to learn about the Sombra SL-8. I didnt know about that, since the normal receiver I've been using is the HUGE Futaba one, and it just flat out doesnt fit in my 2" WTC for the Revell Viic...even if I strip it down, so its naked, with no plastic case. Thats why I've been radio hunting. I'm going to go buy one of those SL-8 receivers shortly, so I can operate my smaller models. Thanks for that info. If I can track something down, I'll definitely let everyone know. I feel like you, we're out here hanging in the wind.....and even with the thread about how the 72/75 MHz will stick around, I dont know....the only people who really need those bands are us...everyone else is happy to go to the HF stuff, where there are no longer channel interference concerns.
      Last edited by spankey; 10-21-2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• roedj
        Captain
        • Sep 2008

Glad to help. I don't know if Caswell stocks the SL-8 HAM. The last time I bought any I decided I could three of them down the road and Sombra gave me a very nice discount on my purchase. Also be sure to buy the Shadow programmer. It's not needed for everyday use of the SL-8 but if you have it, it can be used to program in all kinds of fail safe positions for servos and other features. This will save you some money on not having to buy external fail safes.

73's

Dan
        Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

Working...