X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

Test: Underwater Vinyl Graphics

As many of you know, I like to test things before using them on a model that took hundreds if not a thousand+ man hours to build. My quest as of last Wednesday was to see if vinyl graphics need to be sealed if they might get wet (as in a name on the transom) or are under water on a regular use basis .
    This is chrome vinyl similar to car wrap that will become the name on the back of my Regulator ( https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-in-1-12-scale ). I used the same vinyl in matt black on my Atlantis sub- only difference is that I sealed them with clear lacquer out of caution and not testing-It was not necessary.

This test piece has been under water for seven days and shows no deterioration. ...I will call it waterproof!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2270003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.6 KB ID:	178485 Click image for larger version  Name:	P2270004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	178486
    This is chrome vinyl applied to GRP test piece/control This piece has been underwater for 7 days
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Atlantis TS-XI-CI-004 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	178487 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1160032.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.2 KB ID:	178488
    The black areas are vinyl also (but they have been sealed ) Here's the Regulator Logo in chrome vinyl and soon to have a name on the transom (from Callie Graphics)
    -also in chrome...I will not be sealing these-BG
    Last edited by Bob Gato; 02-27-2024, 04:43 PM.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Good stuff, sir. Thanks for sharing. You do excellent work.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...