• Show
Clear All
  • Das Boot
    Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

Found Color Photo With Anti Foul on WWII Boat

Never seen this pic before.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Das Boot; 03-14-2023, 01:35 PM.
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Good catch!!!! I'll ad that to my files.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

That is pre-WWII.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Albacore 569
        Commander
        • Sep 2020

Oh that's a common Mare Island NSY photo. It is prewar. It does not necessarily represent how this and similar boats were painted in their completed commissions appearance.

On Commission, the anti fowling would be very dark gray or black. The red is a Yard protective coating (of course) while the boat sat dock side in the water being fitted out. I expect the other Government yard, Portsmouth NSY did the same thing. Both yards built very closely to one another. I am sure Electric boat commercial yard was the same in respect to a red in fitting out, but would be taken into dry dock prior ro commissioning and getting her officail Navy (not yard) colors.. So if your building a WW2 fleet boat, black anti fowling.

Mare Island launched the USS Scamp (SSN-588) in a red too al the way up to her designed water line too. I built for the Museum in Vallejo California the scamp as launched. The USS Permit (SSN-594) I show in Navy scheme, with red up only to mid hull, not the waterline. When Scamp was commissioned in 1961, I'm certain she was painted with red anti-fowling up to mid hull only. The red is a yard scheme, not a Navy scheme. Its a important distinction models must be aware of.

Steven
        Last edited by Albacore 569; 03-14-2023, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by trout
          That is pre-WWII.
          It served.
          Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

But not with the red anti-foul paint.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• vital.spark
              Commander
              • May 2010

While living in Christchurch New Zealand, I went to the local boat supply shop and picked up a color card for their antifouling paints. I chose a color very similar to what you have shown here. I then went to the Automotive paint shop and had them mix up 250ml 2K of a color that matched. This was 14 years ago and I am still using it! This is very close to the commercial pail color used by Mearsk Line at that time. Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-23 07.22.08.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	170203 using it!

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Was it in a spray can or just a regular paint can?

Comment

• vital.spark
                  Commander
                  • May 2010

The paint was 2K and done by airbrush. I have to mix color, hardener and reducer. Like typical automotive paint it's HARD AND TOUGH!

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Thank you! Looking into it right now

Comment

Working...