• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spankey
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Aug 2010

Skipjack Class Propeller

So I had a question...
    I am re-propping my DE Skipjack, since I wiped out the stock prop that Mr. Merriman included with the kit. (Rust destroyed the set-screw...going to try to find a stainless setscrew now!) I started looking around for pictures of props from boats of the Skipjack Class, and noticed a couple of differences, and wondered if anyone had any wisdom on the 'why' the props were changed through the class.

Below is a pic of the USS Scamp SSN 588. Although it is shrouded/tarped, it is obvious that the screw is of the 5 bladed variety that originally came with Mr. Merriman's kit.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0858803.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	101117

Now, below this is a shot of the Scamp again, later in its life, with a 7 bladed prop, which is unshrouded.
    As I'm looking to replace the screw, Anyone know what the story is for the difference? Maybe this was the time period that they were transitioning to the 7 bladed screw?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0858821.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	101116
    Last edited by spankey; 08-15-2011, 12:09 PM.
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Spankey, you might have missed the interchange between Merriman and subICman in I SPY, but a general agreement was reached that this picture is also a Skipjack prop. As far as if and when they had a five blade, I dont know.Click image for larger version

Name:	Flash%20drive%202%20249.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	63719
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Albion
      Captain
      • Dec 2008

The Permits and Skips have a similar prop. Prop shop in UK makes VERY nice one you can use. Not cheap, but it sure looks good, this photo doesnt do it justiceClick image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	63729
      Last edited by Kazzer; 08-23-2011, 04:17 PM.
      Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• spankey
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Aug 2010

Prop shop is real nice. I bought a 2.8" screw from them for my 1:72 Los Angeles I'm working on. Since its not installed yet, It sits in a place of honor on my desk....Yes, its that good looking.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Five blade prop was earlier. More of a conventional non-skewed profile- efficient but noisy. The scimitar prop with more blades would be smoother and quieter although not so efficient, at least in model form.

Personally I like the earlier design, as you see a lot of nukes with simitar props.

Comment

Working...