• Sep 2015

Reduction Gear/Belts (Timing Belts)

As promised...

Designatronics, INC

Address: 250 Duffy Ave Suite 2, Hicksville, NY 11801
    Phone: (516) 328-3300

They have CAD models Ralph!!

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

FWIW,

McMaster Carr AND Amazon are sources too. Check Price comparison for what you want.

Here's even ANOTHER source w/Calculator!

BELT LENGTH CALCULATOR

v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Great information Ed!

Thank you for posting it up!

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Ken_NJ
        Captain
        • Sep 2014

I just bought a 2:1 timing belt reduction set for a model I'm building. The SDP center distance designer works great. Enter your desired gear ratio and the center distance. Based on your input, it gives you choices for pulleys and belts. Most likely you'll use DF or double flange pulleys, then choose your bore (shaft size) and belt width. Most likely you'll use 0.080 MXL pitch.

Timing belts come in 9 standard inch and metric widths. Special widths can be cut to size available from stock. SDP/SI is Gates’ largest belt processer N. America.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Difficult to top GT2 belts and pulleys, more than adequate for almost any size of model sub. Available cheaply on ebay. Does help if you can machine your own bushes, then you can purchase pulleys with the less expensive generic bore sizes. If you have a 3d printer you can also print pulleys, but they never run as smooth and clean as the machined aluminium ones, a resin printer would probably fair better in this regard.

Comment

• RanSan
            Lieutenant
            • May 2020

Thanks for posting this Ed. I want to go old school bushed motor on my Seawolf because it has room for the lead acid battery and the idea of the flaming Lipo frankly scares me a little.

If anyone has some pictures of their setup and doesn't mind posting I would be interesting in seeing how they mount the motor and gears. What kind of mounting block they use and any information they can share with us newbies that are interested in the way "things us to be" I would enjoy seeing it.

Thanks
            Randy

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              Rear Admiral
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by RanSan
              Thanks for posting this Ed. I want to go old school bushed motor on my Seawolf because it has room for the lead acid battery and the idea of the flaming Lipo frankly scares me a little.

If anyone has some pictures of their setup and doesn't mind posting I would be interesting in seeing how they mount the motor and gears. What kind of mounting block they use and any information they can share with us newbies that are interested in the way "things us to be" I would enjoy seeing it.

Thanks
              Randy
              Dude,

Is there a Gear plug-in for 360? There was one for FreeCAD. I was able to resin print my own Rack and Pinion for a Snorkel Mast operation assy.
              v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by RanSan

Thanks
                Randy
                Demystifying Gearing and Gearboxes

What am I thinking?!?! Dave actually use to cast his 3:1 reduction gears...CHIME IN Luddite!!
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

You can generate a DXF file with this, then port it into any cad package and extrude a pulley.

Generate box for laser cutter or download drawing

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Tutorial on creating GT2 pulleys with parameters.

This is a worked example of how to generate a GT2 Pulley from the GT2 Belt specification in Fusion 360. There is an update to this video which will be releas...

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Demystifying Gearing and Gearboxes

What am I thinking?!?! Dave actually use to cast his 3:1 reduction gears...CHIME IN Luddite!!
                      The motor pinion and output spur -- both products secured from Stock-Drive

Pinion-Wire-and-Spur-Gear-Stock-Inch.pdf (sdp-si.com)

Gears: precision, commercial, inch, and metric sizes | SDP/SI (sdp-si.com)

I cast the motor-bulkhead gear housing to suit a particular flavor of WTC.

​​
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

Probably not much help in a submarine. My pulley setup is on surface boats. I have more room to do this.

The mounts on this boat were made by a machinist friend, actually his son, a long time ago. Never had a use for them until now. The center distance is adjustable by moving the motor. Ratio is 2:1.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0661.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	168683

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	168684

These were made by my machinist friend who recently passed away. Different that they clamp onto the stuffing tube. This boat has many "miles" on it. Never took them out for maintenance. Think these are 1.5:1 ratio.

Name:	IMG_0664.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	168686

Name:	IMG_0665.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	168685

Comment

• RanSan
                          Lieutenant
                          • May 2020

Great info from everyone,thank you. Fusion does have an add on for generating gears which works pretty good. For the power train I assumed some kind of metal gear would last longer. What are people’s experiences with printed and what filament have you used? Any comments on wear using resin gears?
                          thanks again.

Comment

• SubSteve
                            Lieutenant
                            • Apr 2022

Here are a couple of belt drive setups from my USS Marlin. I fried the 380 brushed motor and replaced it with a small brushless.

Comment

Working...