Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Operation Mincemeat - a Netflix Production

It's a fascinating story of deception and intrigue. https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...tory-explained

The movie involved a British S Class submarine HMS Seraph. I watched it tonight, and it dawned on me there must be hardly anyone around who can say they've been on an S Class submarine in the control room. Well! I have. I was in Malta in 1950 and my dad CPO took me on board HMS Sybil several times when it was in dock in Valetta harbour. I distinctly remember being sat on a revolving stool in front of a control panel, and my dad was called away. He told me to stay still and not touch 'that'. Being four years old (or so) I guess it didn't seem too dangerous, so the klaxon horn sounded all across the harbor for several minutes as I banged on the button.

I guess the Maltese were still very nervous of the noise (thanks to being bombed every day by German war planes) so I wasn't very popular, apparently.
    My point is, I must be one of the last on the planet to say they've been on board a WWII S class British Submarine. Anyone else out there done this?
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!
  • vital.spark
    Commander
    • May 2010

Hi Mike, I kind of miss you running the website. You did a magnificent job in promoting the hobby!

Comment

• Schmitty1944
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Mar 2021

I had not heard of this movie until seeing this. I absolutely loved the story of your visit to the HMS Sybill. Thanks so much for sharing that. You are correct, I doubt anyone else can make that claim. I can just imagine you sitting there as a 4 year old, repeatedly sounding the Klaxon.

After seeing this post I went to Netflix and of course "Operation Mincemeat" was the first thing it suggested for me. I guess they know my number.

I have a bit of an Ian Fleming connection myself, other than being a huge fan of the novels and the original movies (not so much after Roger Moore). I work on and deal with classic cars for a living and a few years ago I had the opportunity to work on a 1953 Bentley R type continental that was purchased new by Ian for his friend Ivar Bryce (the inspiration for the character Felix Lighter). In the original novels James Bond always drove Bentleys not Aston Martins or Lotus. The car came to me with a seized engine after decades of storage, it left running and driving with an effort towards preservation and not restoration (I wasn't even allowed to wash it!!) I remember picking my daughter up from school in it a couple times.

I'll be watching Operation Mincemeat soon, Thanks for sharing your memories.

This is the car:https://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/25/...-rediscovered/

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0500.JPG Views:	0 Size:	56.9 KB ID:	161829
      Last edited by Schmitty1944; 05-19-2022, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Working...