• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roedj
    Captain
    • Sep 2008

One - offs - how to do it?

To All,

Not sure where to ask this - may belong on Builder's section - move if you want.

Here's the situation. I want to try my hand at total scratch building a sub. I have experience in building surface craft in wood with the plank on bulkhead/former technique but I realize that that may not be the best way to get what I want. My observation is that all you masters at this scratch building game make a master from foam or wood than make a female mold then pull a male example from it. OK, that's great if you want to produce copies - but I don't. I am only interested in making a one-off single boat.

I can visualize making a foam master. glassing it then removing the foam - lost foam method. Or, making bulkheads from plans, laying very thin wood planking over it, glassing the outer shell, then removing the bulkheads. Or, ?????

I have Steve Neill's "Dumb Asses" book. Lots of good ideas there but it's still geared towards making copies. I know I could follow the master - female mold - male copy method but what are my options?

I would use WEST epoxy (I have experience with it) and carbon tape for water proofing and strength. I'm also not sure if it would end up being a dry or wet hull model.

Given those druthers, how would you do it? I reiterate, I have NO desire to make copies - only one boat.

Thanks for your time and invaluable help,

Dan
    Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Yes, lost-foam technique.

Make the foam plug/master/sacrificial pattern from polystyrene -- it won't melt under the epoxy resin saturated GRP layup.

After glass layup, remove the foam by opening up two holes in the GRP 'skin' and pouring gasoline in the top hole, which turns the foam to mush, the mush is drained out the lower hole hole. Wa-la! A one-off GRP hull.

Try not to set yourself on fire!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
      Captain
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
      Yes, lost-foam technique.

Make the foam plug/master/sacrificial pattern from polystyrene -- it won't melt under the epoxy resin saturated GRP layup.

Try not to set yourself on fire!
      Polystyrene - is that the blue/pink insulation board?

Good advice on not setting myself on fire - I'll consider it.

Dan

Comment

• roedj
        Captain
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by roedj

Dan
        Never mind, I see that the pink/blue insulation is polystyrene. Should've Googled before asking.

Dan

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by roedj

Dan
          Yeah, that's the stuff. Get to it.

David,
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...